Homesteading

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 1 month ago #9651 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Homesteading
I agree with you completely Frank A. and when I read your review from Eagle Hammock I knew some of what you were talking about. The trailer came in one day before we left and this is occupied by active duty on base with a family. I also saw the furniture and fridge and wooden steps and had hoped someone would put a stop to the violation of rules. There are quite a few long term/homesteaders at this campground and the numbers seem to grow as bottom line is what is now the priority.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #9762 by renegade
Replied by renegade on topic Re: Homesteading
When the 100lb x 2 propane bottles and the winter wrap for the water lines the mobil home skirting goes on its homsteading.
Also we have seen the BHA discussions but forgot that there is also the rent plus programs in place. BHA + more $ to bring it up to average rent in the area.

MSgt. USAF Retired

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #9764 by Suzq
Replied by Suzq on topic Re: Homesteading
Sounds right. If military families are allowed to live like that what about all of them in the base housing. When my husband was sent to SEA three times I lived off base on less money and pushed my babies in a stroller a heck of a distance to buy groceries because we could not afford a car. Now airmen get base housing. I sure wonder how come active duty needs to homestead in famcamps? I do not know the individual circumstance but have to wonder. I care about active duty getting benefits but I care about the eroding of ours as well.

More
12 years 1 week ago #9851 by DutchStar38
Replied by DutchStar38 on topic Re: Homesteading
If Homesteading is staying in a military recreational site for more than 1 year then Charleston AFB beats that. They opened a big new section and the old very shaded portion is reserved for rv'ers who stay 30days to 2 YEARS! Can you believe this, 2 YEARS. I was also told that the 2 Years thing was basically for when reservists arrive. I personally think that anything over 6 months should not be allowed. But, to RESERVE the most shaded spots for people who decide to stay 30 days to 2 YEARS should be banned. I agree that not everyone wnats to be surrounded by trees because of SAT TV problems or whatever but in the middle of the summer months to not be able to utilize a well shaded area even if empty because it is reserved for extended stay personnel is an outrage. I have been to various campgrounds and seen where homesteaders and such suck up the nice spots and the rest of us that pass through have to stay out in the open mostly. In my opinion no spot should be reserved for any extended stay and any stay over 3 months should be banned. These facilities should not be utilized as a place to live out a particular season.

More
12 years 1 week ago #9854 by Suzq
Replied by Suzq on topic Re: Homesteading
You know, many retired military are full-timing now. Maybe military bases should have a full-timer area and charge appropriately. These folks often leave a lot of money and even volunteer to support bases. No one should create a mess, famcamps should be available to all and I mean all of us who need them. But it is important that government property be managed correctly. We once stayed off and on at a famcamp for years when we were trying to stay near our daughter since she needed some help. We are not into "buddying up" to the hosts or managers so we had it harder than some who were staying long term. But we were helping a military family then and being on or near a base was important. Many full- timers are on a strict budget. I agree that prime locations should not be tied up by long term rentals. That should be easy to manage.

More
12 years 1 week ago #9902 by Frank A.
Replied by Frank A. on topic Re: Homesteading
I just spent 9 days at the Maxwell-Gunter Recreation Area (Mid-Bay) in Niceville, Florida. There is a guy there in Site #7 that has been there I know for the last three years that I have been going there. He is young so he is either active duty or works in the area. I'm not sure of the time limits but I read in their brochure that you can only stay there for 2 weeks in the winter.

Time to create page: 0.452 seconds