Homesteading

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 2 months ago #9479 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Homesteading
From our experience over the years, homesteading is done more at the campgrounds that allow you to reserve for 2 months right up front and then you can reserve for another 2 months if no waiting list; but how this can happen in the south in the winter baffles me. Reserving for one month and then having to move on would be fine by me so everyone has a chance to use the campgrounds. Seriously doubt spots would sit empty in the southern states under this kind of reservation policy as everyone would need to keep moving from one campground to another. We have an RV to travel and see new places, not sit for months and months at the same spot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9482 by Suzq
Replied by Suzq on topic Re: Homesteading
For years retired military and others have been trying to use the military rv spots as winter homes. They will do anything that works to get them a spot for several months. Key West was notorious for this even "selling" spots in the early 90's. This was illegal, of course. Cliques form, and they make it harder for others in any way they can to drive down there and have a nice stay. Tent spots used to be along the water, now you a re given a tiny spot near the water hidden from RV's and my last adventure trying that was horrific. They drank until all hours and kicked up their heels two feet from my head. They even went to turn over the porta potti with my husband in it. Then they ran when the police came. There should be no reservations so that everyone is treated the same. And they should clean up that tent area. At Tyndall there were special deals galore. The coffee guy, the sick wife guy, the exercise lady, and on and on. If you spoke up there was no spot for you.
WE paid for a tent spot at MacDill and the manager sent the SP's to chase us down at Lewis Lake because she said we stole a shower. No apologies from anyone ever. Now we have a big new RV and we do not know anyone so we are still at the back of any line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank A.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9485 by ccacfrog
Replied by ccacfrog on topic Re: Homesteading
We are currently camped at Panama City Beach (military camp ground off post). A neighbor camped next to us said that there was a fella here who just left about a week ago or less - he had been camped here for (7) seven years! This is a small campground and there are several others here either active duty or contractor camped here for extensive periods of time. Not just on vacation - they work here in this area and live in this campground. There are a few camp sites open - so this place is not full. I think if someone wants to use this place as their full time living spot they should have short term periods of rental and then take their chance of getting a spot like the rest of us. This neighbor said this long term resident got about $2300.00 from Uncle Sam for housing - he paid the $450.00 camping fee and keeps the rest. Instead of looking to cut veterans benefits maybe they should look into this abuse of their housing allotment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Suzq

More
12 years 2 months ago #9487 by Suzq
Replied by Suzq on topic Re: Homesteading
Are you at the Tyndall off base famcamp? It is located across from the base. I am not sure of the one you are at but I think we looked it over a few years ago and it was full then. It was not near the base, and I forget now who was responsible for it.amazing the things some of us get away with and others do not huh? On government property.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9488 by elisowski
Replied by elisowski on topic Re: Homesteading
For some reason we can not find the Navy Reg on RV parks, or FamCamps. Like I said before both the DoD and AFI say NOTHING about RV camping. Only the Army, AR215-1 pg 71 has any meat to it. Perhaps one of our Navy members can research this side. We all need to start bringing this to higher ups. the fact that service members are pocketing thousands of dollars is good for them, but could also be considered fraud by some. This is getting back to the Trailer Parks issue that we had years ago which ended up with trailer trash and caused the DoD to ban these parks and do away with them world wide. If this happened to our RV parks the same faith could be in the future.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9503 by ccacfrog
Replied by ccacfrog on topic Re: Homesteading
Sat. 2-11-2012

We are camped off post at the Navy campground in Panama City Beach. The famcamp at Tyndell (? spelling) is Air Force. Small campground here but it meets our needs. Campground host Shelia - is very nice and has worked hard to line up activites for the campers here. We went to a musical show the other night at the Breakers - and it was very good. We probably would have just over looked this show - I am glad that we went. The entertainer did alot of impressions - Elvis - Johnny Cash and others. Very good show - not bad price and food was good too!. This show won't be in town long - will leave when spring breakers come in - in March. I guess the younger folk don't enjoy this kind of entertainment.

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds