Homesteading

More
12 years 6 months ago #8939 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Homesteading
Meade is a thorn in everyone's side, I think, along with Mayport and MacDill during winter months. Ever tried to get a few days at either one of them. Plenty sites available during summer tho'

Retires selling homes and traveling, using DIFFERENT MCGs is not and should not be an issue. Anyone that does that, has earned it. It's staying in one spot all year or same six months every year to the exclusion of others is what should never occur.

And BigRedTruck - if I'm not mistaken, you implied above that you declined base housing because you'd have to give up BHA?? And, it appears the base housing is not up to your standards - or not large enough?? Not sure which.

But lots of civilians travel more than an hour to work every day, so they can afford a better home for their families.

You can't have both - extra money in your pocket, or a nicer home for your family. Just doesn't work that way in military, nor civilian work. SO, if you're gonna put this "extra" money in your pocket, then you have to travel to work, or pay the amount for better housing closer.

A fine reason - to use MCG while truly searching for a home, but to use MCG to save BHA money is not a good reason.

But, no matter what, if any AD takes an MCG site (to save part of BHA) you're depriving other individuals that earned the right to a campsite.

Recreational camping at MCGs all across this country is a great benefit, but if it continues to get abused -- by Command (Camping fees to pay for golf upgrades, for example), by camp managers, or by campers -- we will lose it and-or it will become either supplimental housing or too expensive to stay.

IF it becomes 'over-productive' due to DOD or BHA substitute, then MWR will see it as a "cash cow", and the rates will skyrocket even faster than the past few years ... even in our Negative COLA, rates still went UP not Down.

Nuff, said ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ldabel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8947 by TheBigRedTruck
Replied by TheBigRedTruck on topic Re: Homesteading
To the, Monkey On My Back!!!!
If you really must know, we are waiting for a americans with disabilities home!!!!!!!

More
12 years 6 months ago #8954 by monkey44
Matt - I sent you a PM - please check PM logs.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8955 by rvgrammy1953
Replied by rvgrammy1953 on topic Re: Homesteading
BigRed,

Now, you are the exception, not the rule....your's is a true reason to extend....

More
12 years 6 months ago #8974 by monkey44

TheBigRedTruck wrote: To the, Monkey On My Back!!!!
If you really must know, we are waiting for a americans with disabilities home!!!!!!!

Not on your back, or anyone else back that uses the benefits we earn properly. Sometimes, 'bending rules' is exceptable under conditions that might be allowed by the CO ... and waiting for ADA housing is probably an exception any time it happens.

But, am on the back of individuals that abuse the benefit and take more than a fair share of any beneift, whether it's extra money or extra time. That's never a proper way to share with our military brothers.

When the cost of an MCG rises to $50 a night, and MWR (or a sub-contractor) puts a 'dollar box' on the showers (like what has happened in some state and national parks), what kind of 'benefit' does that illustrate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ldabel

More
12 years 4 months ago #9164 by RVcamper
Replied by RVcamper on topic Re: Homesteading
I have also seen the homesteading.

The closest BAH related wording on the issue of receiving BAH while staying in a MWR RV recreation facility is his on page 26-15.
DOD Financial Management Regulation

F.
Rental Quarters (Other Than Inadequate Quarters). A member and dependents who occupy the following facilities on a rental basis are entitled to BAH. (See “Definitions” for “rental charge.”)
1. Any housing facilities, including trailers, under the jurisdiction of the government other than government quarters constructed or designated for occupancy without charge. The member may sublease such quarters to a temporary subleasee with or without charge and neither the sublessor nor subleasee will lose their right to BAH.

IMHO, based on the above, receiving BAH while homesteading on a Government owned family recreation facility is not authorized.

Personally owned RVs/Trailers do not fall into this category.

One can see Homesteading at base Marinas as well. I've heard folks boasting that the Govt is paying for the sail boat they live on.

The Homesteading at base RV sites will only get worse the more folks realize they can pocket the difference in BAH.

Anyone who feels that strongly about it has this option and let those folks determine if it is actually FW&A.

Report Fraud, Waste & Abuse - DOD Hotline

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds