Homesteading

More
12 years 7 months ago #8835 by billb1959
Replied by billb1959 on topic Re: Homesteading
If they've been there that long, Renegade, then I do agree with you.....it's homesteading! I didn't realize there were military CGs that allowed that long a stay. We've never stayed at one. The longest we've stayed at a military CG is 30 days (Pt. Mugu).
I agree with Larry......over a year is homesteading. It doesn't seem right to be turned away due to lack of sites because they're populated by homesteaders. We've been full-timers for about 8 years and would never consider staying anywhere that long. A few months throughout the summer as CG hosts is long enough!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SkyWatcher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #8913 by Azboy
Replied by Azboy on topic Re: Homesteading
Totally agree with you homesteaders normally stay way beyond the limit because they are in tight with the host. It burns my backside when a park has no vacancy because contractor people have all the sites sewed up year after year/

More
12 years 7 months ago #8915 by rvgrammy1953
Replied by rvgrammy1953 on topic Re: Homesteading
While we are on this subject....How do you all feel about Senior Active Duty making the military campground their "Almost retiring home" for a year or more before retirement and other active duty doing the same with kids for the length of their assignment to the military post/base?? This is happening more and more instead of them getting "base Housing" or local apts. or houses?...Regulations state campgrounds/RV parks are for Recreation....not HOUSING!! The priority for "Recreation" is active duty, but this is not "recreation"....This situation leaves limited spots for others (i.e.other AD who just want to camp for the weekend and retired military)..to use & enjoy the campground....

Have been Full-timers for over 8 yrs, may stay up to 6 months when Camp Hosting, which is long enough,(and we don't show Favorites, but stick to the rules..)... usually only stay a month when traveling at the most...

More
12 years 7 months ago #8916 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Homesteading
Some guys abuse it, and use it for housing while still drawing BAQ ... that's should be against regulations - don't know if it is.

But, staying long periods, and renewing, and staying longer is overstepping the boundary that recreation campgrounds were designed to meet. This is a recreation area for everyone of us ...

Nothing rocks me more that to see a little fence and lawn around a Camp-spot when We would like to spend a week or two in an area, and some campers have been there six months, and renewing ... which means one family is 'stealing' from our benefits.
We have no trouble with most of what we see in some areas, as the sites are not full - and if not full, by all means, renew away and keep the MCG funds coming into those under-used MCGs.

But, when an MCG is in a popular area and fills up most of the time, that's when MWR should pull the plug on over-stays. Seems to me two weeks or a month should be long enough. IF no one is waiting, absolutely, stay another week or so - but if a rig is sitting in the parking lot, move the site free and let him in it ... for his space of time. We should ALL share these benefits, as we're losing some of them and parts of them every time congress has a meeting ... or the price goes up and nearly meets private CG prices. That's not much of a benefit, unless you consider the people you camp with have got your back all the time ... which is better than a private CG anytime.

More
12 years 7 months ago #8917 by TheBigRedTruck
Replied by TheBigRedTruck on topic Re: Homesteading
We are a active duty family, on the waiting list for housing and we are told we have limited time to stay at the campground.

There should be a exception, for people who are staying (In the campground) because they have no where else to go, are kids go to school on post. We are not homesteading, we just don't have a home to move into yet!!!

Im not saying there Is not a big issue with homesteading In the campgrounds!!!

More
12 years 7 months ago #8919 by rvgrammy1953
Replied by rvgrammy1953 on topic Re: Homesteading
Don't have issues for those waiting for housing....just the ones who want to make the campground "housing" for 3-4 years.....or longer...

Time to create page: 0.435 seconds