Campgrpound Closures - Corona Virus

More
4 years 1 month ago #17290 by happykayakers
I'm at Shields RV Park on NCBC Gulfport. They are allowing existing reservations to arrive until 3/23. Current campers will be allowed to extend. No new reservations until sometime in May. The lady at the office did stress to call the office (228.871.5435) for current info. Their website has NOT been updated to reflect this change.

I also have reservations for Ft. Sam Houston later this month and called their office to verify. As of this morning, I'll be allowed on post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: larryf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #17292 by akfiredog377
As far as I know Ft Sam is still open. Lackland has been reported as closed. Not sure on Canyon Lake.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by akfiredog377.

More
4 years 1 month ago #17293 by akfiredog377
It looks like Great Pond in Maine is open, but not taking any new reservations at this time.

This was posted on their FB page on 19 Mar.

"Hello from Great Pond Maine!!! We have had many calls and FB messages asking if we are closed. The answer is we are open, however we are not taking any new reservations until after May 11th."

More
4 years 1 month ago #17294 by akfiredog377
Larry thank you for keeping this site updated for those on the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ipolady

More
4 years 1 month ago #17296 by tetonchief52
I am at MacDill. I am a full timer. Currently they are letting people stay until their reservation end date, however, if the Health Condition goes to "Charlie" (currently Bravo) all campers will be forced to leave the base.
I think this is just plain STUPID! You are literally throwing retired/and or disabled vets out on the street to fend for themselves. Many with reservations for when they are due to leave are receiving emails their res is cancelled. Even State and local commercial camp grounds are closing. At least at FAMCAMP you are secure and the government is getting their money (most is credit card/autom payment) so no personal interaction). Allowing people already on a FAMCAMP to stay until this blows over and/or an all clear to move about is a win/win for the base and the camper. I have written everyone I can about this and only get caned responses from those emails (thank you, things are changing rapidly, continue to check the DOD or base web site, blah, blah, blah). I marched into the Force Support Sq yesterday to talk to a real person--wanted the commander, but the 1st Sgt intercepted me. Gave him my pitch and we shared with the Supt and the Civ in charge. They said they would pass it along as above their pay grade, everything is changing all the time, refer to the base web site, blah, blah, blah. They took my number and said they would get back to me. Last night I wrote to Sen Rick Scott, ,y FL Senator and a former Vet. Hoping he can talk to Sec Def or somebody to look at this and make a uniform policy. Normally I would be leaving in April to go out west to work in the National Parks but they are saying we don't know yet if they are going to open on time or at all so don't come until you hear from us.
I hope all of you that use the FAMCAMP's (especially if you are a full timer) will write you Senator or Congressman as I believe at this point they are the only ones that will get this to the right person in the fastest manner.I may be missing something here, but it seems like a no brainer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stenberg

More
4 years 1 month ago #17298 by joexfour
Shields RV (FamCamp) on the Seabee Base in Gulfport, MS is no longer accepting new campers. Existing campers can stay.

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds