Concealed carry

More
7 years 11 months ago #14748 by smokey
Replied by smokey on topic Concealed carry
We spend time on MacDill AFB. I normally carry at least 2 handguns and a long gun with me. At the gate IF YOU ARE ASKED, declare the guns and that they are unloaded. I have never been asked at the gate so when you check into the CG, declare the weapons, and you will be given a form to fill out. You will state the make/model/caliber/and serial number. You will then (next day) take it to the armory and it will be stamped as a personal weapon in your private quarters. You can carry the weapon on and off post in in an unloaded condition. I have been selected for a vehicle check and I tell the inspectors that I have an unloaded weapon in the console with the armory paperwork with it. I have been thanked for the info about the weapon but they have NEVER looked at the weapon or seemed concerned as long as it is registered on base.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaTroof-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #15101 by Frank A.
Replied by Frank A. on topic Concealed carry
I live near Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Michigan so go there often to shop. I drove out Sunday morning and almost dropped dead at the main gate. There are 3 signs there saying that if you have a concealed weapon permit you are now allowed to carry on base. The sign states that there are signs posted at certain buildings and areas where these weapons are not allowed. I didn't see any. The rules haven't changed for folks without the CPL. You still cannot take a weapon on base, loaded or unloaded. Now I'm curious to see if any other installations follow suit. Selfridge may be an ANG base but it is still owned by the U.S. Air Force. Numerous signs around the perimeter state this.

More
7 years 5 months ago #15102 by Sarge3398
Replied by Sarge3398 on topic Concealed carry
"There are 3 signs there saying that if you have a concealed weapon permit you are now allowed to carry on base."

This new policy was just announced this past week. It gives a lot of leeway to the installation commander, but I seem to recall that a concealed carry holder has to request permission to carry on post. In addition, NONE of this applies to retirees. We still can't carry on post. It's only for active duty, DOD civilians, and DOD contractors, I believe. Supposedly, this will be addressed in a separate policy.

The only thing wrong with being retired is that you never get a day off!

More
7 years 5 months ago #15103 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Concealed carry
Interesting the rule "excludes" retirees ... probably the guys with the most experience handling weapons.

I've always found it a bit odd that we can't carry on base, at least in our vehicles if not on our hips. I get it, report it, or register so the CO knows it or at leasts security knows it ... but to exclude the citizens with the most training and experience using weapons seems a little strange.

More
7 years 5 months ago #15104 by Frank A.
This is exactly as the signs read:

Security Notice

Lawfully Concealed Weapons
Are Allowed On Premises

CPL Restricted Zones Posted

This does not seem confusing at all. If you have a CPL you are allowed to carry on Selfridge. I asked the guard at the gate and he said there are no restrictions as to who, if you have a CPL, it doesn't matter if you are retired or not. Of course it's going to be like on the outside, there are places you won't be able to carry.

More
7 years 5 months ago #15105 by Frank A.
A photo of Selfridge sign.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds