Possibly the most expensive military campground in the natio

More
16 years 7 months ago #1725 by mikecfr
I think that's a great idea. I called Mr. Budda today and told him I knew of some ways they could save money and he wasn't interested. Their mind is made up. I told the I feel that they hire too much help during the summer. According to 2 of the college kids that work there, they hire at least a couple of dozen. I don't know if that's accurate but I don't think it's too much of an exageration. I also feel they could have raised the rates for civilians and left the rates for military alone or at most, a small raise for military. I told him that we would'nt be camping there as long as the rates remain that high. I think everyone who feels the rates are out of line should contact Ft. McCoy either through ICE or direct contact with the director of MWR. I wonder about the young soldier that has a short TDY there for training and wants to take his or her family to camp. Lodging for a short TDY for training isn't usually conducive to including families. And, now I think the campground is out of range of a reasonable price for those young soldiers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #1727 by johnandmari

The fee structure is comparable to the escalating operating expense. As a returning customer you are aware that pricing has not changed over the past 8 years. Unfortunately, it is not feasible for Pine View Campground to continue operations without adjusting prices.

The fee structure . . . what in the world is this individual talking about? He purchased no land, he pays no taxes, he has no utility costs ? the campground is on a federal base/post/station, is it not? As I have mentioned in the past, Family Camps are quickly becoming a ?cash cow? to many military facilities. The powers-that-be who operate these Family Camps are driven by returns on . . ., what, they did not invest anything. All FamCamp rates seem to be increasing ? although for what reason, I can not say, but certainly not to the extent of Pine View. Pine View is unquestionably not alone in raising their rates, as many other FamCamp rates are excessive for what is offered ? last October we stopped at the U.S. Military Academy for a couple of days. For water, electric, but no sewage hook-up, and, in my opinion, an extremely difficult and hazardous access road, the Army charged us $22/day. By comparison, Admiral Baker FamCamp, located adjacent to the beautiful Admiral Baker Recreational Facility, less than five miles from downtown San Diego only charges $22/day. I truly believe the days of affordable military FamCamps will soon be a thing of the past. As Non-Appropriated Funds management (MWR is after all, part of the NAF system) begins to understand the monetary rewards to be gained by increasing the cost of ?camping? on base, we can only expect rising rates as the outcome.

John

More
16 years 7 months ago #1728 by FastEagle
My suggestion to you Mr. Budda is to get into the real Military world of providing recreation for THE Military. Contact managers of campgrounds like yours and check their pricing. Two very nicely run Navy recreational areas come to mind. Admiral Baker in San Diego, CA and Short Stay at Moncks Corner, SC. Both are off base and have RV sites along with loads of other recreational opportunities. Neither one is supported by the civilian population unless they are employees or guests of authorised users.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
16 years 7 months ago #1729 by monkey44
As a comparison: Anyone ever stay at Kings Bay in Georgia -- A grand total of $15 per night. Includes: Concrete pad, water, electric sewer, Cable TV, WI-Fi and/or Web hook-up in the Rec Room, Hot Showers, free laundry, and overflow camping section that has water and electric and TV, just no sewer. And the whole place is SPOTLESS.
Full base facilities including gas station, car wash, mechanic hobby shop you can rent bays to work on your truck/camper ... and it only about a half-hour drive to Jacksonville and a couple hours to Savanaha if you like off-base entertainment ...

Did I say $15 per night -- that's right !!! (might have just gone up to $17, big deal)

More
16 years 7 months ago #1731 by karylkoch
I agree, about Kings Bay GA. We have been Blessed, to travel to a number of Famcamps. I have never understood, why there is not a more uniformed pricing system. We had to come home from FL, because of a family illness several years ago, and spent the winter at Ft Meade. It was very, very cold, and we couldn't believe we were paying a couple hundred more a month, than we were in beautiful FL. Ft Meade also had a problem, with more employees, than they needed. They since have raised there rates, and you pay the same in the winter as the summer. Sure would be nice, if the right people, would understand, what is happening to our Famcamps. >:( ???

More
16 years 7 months ago #1732 by mikecfr
I'd like to encourage everyone who is concerned about this outrageous price to fill out the ICE form located on Pine View Campground website. It may actually change things but, I'm not optimistic. I wonder if Mr. Budda is former military, current military, retiree, or strictly civilian. My guess is civilian.

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds