Possibly the most expensive military campground in the natio

More
15 years 10 months ago #3444 by FastEagle
I've taken some time and done a little more research on the campground. I can only use what I have found on the internet because I have no first hand information to share.

Ref. A:
www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r215_1.pdf
Ref. B:
www.mccoymwr.com/Facilities/pineview.htm

In accordance with ref. A: table 7-1, page 57, the post commander has the authority to allow civilians to use the campground.

At the very bottom of the page in ref. B: you will find a statement that there are always 10 sites open for AD military up until Thursday of each week and then they go to first come first serve. Everywhere I've been that had that statement it means you have to be there in person or otherwise it would be in violation of the intent.

This campground will soon be taking reservations for the year 2010. These local people know that and act accordingly. So I guess for us happy wanderers (no pun intended Larry) we will have to make our reservations well in advance or take our chances and show up on Thursday afternoon and hope we're number 10 in line.

As for the $$$. Hi visibility/usage places get them. It's $75.00 + at Myrtle beach right now and it's getting hot.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3452 by mikecfr
Does Myrtle beach allow civilians too? If civilians couldn't use Pine View, it wouldn't be the cash cow that it is. I think $75 is way too much to charge anyone. The sad thing about Pine View is that military is pretty much left out. The last, and I mean last, time I camped there I found mostly civilians. The grounds had considerable trash, which I helped to pick up, and there was very little respect for the rules.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3457 by FastEagle
Mikecfr,

I’m a little slow but sooner or later I usually line all the ducks up. So I’m a little confused at your strong attack on this campground after you posted what could only be described as a favorable review for it in this web pages campground section on 16 Aug 2007. That is just three weeks before you started this string.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
15 years 9 months ago #3464 by mikecfr
Pine View is a beautiful campground. I have enjoyed camping there in the past. However, they have raised their rates significantly, especially on the weekends. Also, there is no off season reduction in rates and the rates for military are not much less than civilians. Personally, I object to any MWR facility being indescriminately open to civilians since they are built and operated with non-appropriated funds coming directly from you and me. If you are military, retired or otherwise, it can be difficult to get into Pine View during the summer or on popular weekends because it is full of civilians. It was shortly after I posted the review that I was informed of the increase in cost of camping there. I am also disappointed in the fact that the staff had no interest in suggestions for saving money which may postpone or limit the amount of increase. I do not dislike Pine View campground; I would like to camp there again. However, I probably won't as long as the rates are as high as they are and they aren't interested in my suggestions. I hope that answers your questions?

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #8107 by Blackhawk
We have not gone there simply because of the negative comments we have heard about the place. They seem to cater to CIVILIAN (non military/non DOD employees) but simply civilians from off base who have never served one day in the military.
A friend of ours stopped by there and was told "sorry no space." He is retired military and served in combat. When he looked around he was surprised to find mostly all civilians there. Very few DOD civilians and military were there.
The manager at the office could care less.
Folks, this is what MWR has became: A money making organization that is not there to support the TROOPS.
More and more MWR Famcamps are this way. Ran by people who have never served a day in the military but who want to open the MWR doors to civilians who do not like the military. These civilians want to get the benefits of the military without paying the price most of us have paid.
Due to budget cuts, civilian management of MWR I see no change in this.
It will only get worse.

About 10 years ago the Fort Knox campground was loaded with civilians who had no connection what so ever to the military. We asked ALL military (retired, active duty and DOD civilian) to complain to the base commander about this policy. The home steading civlians were told to move on.

I earned my right to stay in a MWR facility. 30 years of active duty in three combat zones. I will not sit by and see a bunch of civilians camping next to me on base.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Blackhawk.

Time to create page: 0.395 seconds