Planning a trip to Smithsonian Institute in November

More
16 years 4 months ago #2730 by cheldreth
I have been to Quantico on several occasions and there have been tent campers there each time. One of the areas of Lunga Park is dedicated to tent campers. I have seen scouts camped there.

Quantico is a great, cost effective alternative to high priced campgrounds. The problem is getting your reservations before all of the sites are booked. We love Quantico.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #3162 by Sandman

I'm heading up to the DC area this summer with my sister and we're looking for a semi-inexpensive (we're trying to be realistic about the DC area) place to stay. Do any of the C/G's mentioned have a place for plain ole tent camping? It sounds like Quantico is a no-go for that, but what about the others?

GG.. Come on down! Lunga has plenty of tent sites.. great tent sites.. bad point is pit toilets..

Pine Area.. see site map under state listing..

You are allowed to use the Station Gym, Showers just past the commissary and PX by the Air Facility

For DC.. ride the train.. www.vre.org/

More
16 years 2 months ago #3170 by karylkoch
We have stayed at Ft Meade quite a few times. I know they have a base shuttle, but as far as I know it does not go off base. I'm not even sure if the shuttle stops at the campground. The amtrak train station is not far, MWR can give directions, but you will need a car to get there. Now for tent camping they do allow tents, but you will pay the same as everyone else. This is where it may not be worth it since, Ft Meade is one of the most expensive military campgrounds at any military location. You can check out the price on this site. During peak seasons it can be hard to get a back in site which are cheaper. Be prepared and bring enough money, MD and DC, along with the campground is not cheap. If money is not a problem you will love the Smithsonian. Take some really comfortable shoes, it is a lot to see.

More
16 years 2 months ago #3171 by karylkoch
Sorry just noticed, I should of probably directed you to the post on this site, titled FT Meade. It gives information on the campground, along with somethings I already mentioned.

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds