Planning a trip to Smithsonian Institute in November

More
16 years 9 months ago #1418 by KampinKirk
Hello All

We are planning a trip to the Smithsonian in November. Would like to know of any good military campgrounds in the area and if so do they offer shuttle service into Washington, D.C.? If not does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay in the area that offers shuttle service into the city?

Braxton Craft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #1420 by seabeeken
the Famcamp at Andrews is convenient. You can park at the main gate walk across the street catch a shuttle to the train station and it takes you to within a block of the Smithsonian.

More
16 years 9 months ago #1426 by cdrcos

The Famcamp at Andrews is convenient. You can park at the main gate walk across the street catch a shuttle to the train station and it takes you to within a block of the Smithsonian.

Probably the best option, but there is also a FAMCAMP at Fort Meade in Maryland, slightly farther.

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

More
16 years 9 months ago #1430 by cheldreth
Quantico is just south of DC. You need to be self contained because they only have pit toilets and no regular rest rooms or showers. It is a beautiful place to camp however.

Another thought which is not a military campground is Cherry Hill Park Campground. While you will pay more for your campsite, the convenience to public transportation might well off set the additional cost. We have stayed there twice and enjoyed it both times. The metro is available a short distance away and there is a bus stop on the campground that will take you to the metro.

We were there two Thanksgivings ago and they even had an elaborate turkey dinner in the clubroom free for all campers.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
16 years 8 months ago #1489 by jsummers
mY wife & I are also going to Wash DC in Nov. Where is that Cherry Hill Park Campground that Cheldreth mentioned pls ? Thnx - jim summers, palmer, AK.

More
16 years 8 months ago #1491 by cdrcos

MY wife & I are also going to Wash DC in Nov. Where is that Cherry Hill Park Campground that Cheldreth mentioned pls ? Thnx - jim summers, palmer, AK.

It is in College Park, Maryland. We have stayed there a number of times. Is is very expensive, but very nice - and also convenient to the DC Metro lines.

Their website is: www.cherryhillpark.com/index.cfm?action=home.main

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds