Planning a trip to Smithsonian Institute in November

More
16 years 5 months ago #2042 by Sandman
Andrews is closing for overhaul.. call before making plans..

Quantico is a nice FamCamp.. has a VRE (Virginia Railway Express) station at Quantico Town gate.. Commuter train into the District..

www.vre.org/

About $7.00 each way..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #2047 by cdrcos

Quantico is just south of DC. You need to be self contained because they only have pit toilets and no regular rest rooms or showers. It is a beautiful place to camp however.

Curt

Also check out Fort Meade, Maryland Famcamp. It is closer than Quantico and they have full hook up sites. Not sure how the public transportation is from there.

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

More
16 years 3 months ago #2446 by golfer5k
We're set to do a 4 night trip to Ft Meade in April 08, also to catch the Smithsonian with the 5 and 8 year olds. We understand that Ft Meade has nice facilities and also has shuttle service within easy access to the Mall area and attractions. Coming from Central PA, it seemed a bit less hassle at the tail end of the trip in terms of returning in traffic. Our other option would have been Andrews AFB.

I'll post our experience afterward.

Otherwise, for July 4 we'll be at Oceana NAS in VA Beach. If anyone has thoughts, please advise in a separate post thread.

More
16 years 3 months ago #2503 by skyking8
I can't add to the other C/G suggestions, but having been stationed in the DC area I will mention that the "Smithsonian" is a complex of 15 museums spread out over the mall area. There will be alot of walking. Several museums are all day events. And then next to the Air & Space is the Washington momument. Worth doning, but you'll be standing outside in a line. In November, it will be chilly.

Suggest that you pack a lunch. It isn't cheap to eat in that area especially in a museum.

More
16 years 3 months ago #2504 by skyking8
I can't add to the other C/G suggestions, but having been stationed in the DC area I will mention that the "Smithsonian" is a complex of 15 museums spread out over the mall area. There will be alot of walking. Several museums are all day events. And then next to the Air & Space is the Washington momument. Worth doning, but you'll be standing outside in a line. In November, it will be chilly.

Suggest that you pack a lunch. It isn't cheap to eat in that area especially in a museum.

More
16 years 1 month ago #2728 by Guardgirl
I'm heading up to the DC area this summer with my sister and we're looking for a semi-inexpensive (we're trying to be realistic about the DC area) place to stay. Do any of the C/G's mentioned have a place for plain ole tent camping? It sounds like Quantico is a no-go for that, but what about the others?

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds