MWR fees based on rank

More
16 years 1 month ago #2953 by skyking8
I played golf a few days ago at a military course and was reminded of one of my biggest pet peeves with the MWR system. The charge for a round was predicated on rank and of course the higher the rank the more you pay. That's also typical when using military lodging and some other MWR facilities.

I didn't much care for this practice when on AD and had the money to pay, but now that I'm retired with 60% less, it really gets my goat. Would this be reverse discrimination?

It's acceptable if I get DVQ or a bigger room if I pay more, but the standard room that the private rents costs me more. Hmm? I lose just as many balls on the course whether I pay more or not.

This doesn't happen in the real world hotel and golf course industry. Can you imagine the flak if you wanted to rent a car and they said that you would have to pay more because you were an executive?

I have yet to encounter this issue at a MCG, but if it happens I'll find somewhere else to stay.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #2954 by FastEagle
Go to Myrtle Beach, SC in the spring time and play some golf. If you do not have a Myrtle Beach address on your drivers license you will pay much more than someone that does.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
16 years 1 month ago #2957 by bblhed
Replied by bblhed on topic Re: MWR fees based on rank
Well when I first returned home after I retired I hit the local golf course, and said 1 with a cart, retired. Well after having to show proof of retirement I was told that the retired rate only applies if you are over 55. I told the person at the counter that I would be more than happy to pay the full price for golf if they changed the sign to say retired over 55, but I was going to play this round at the retired rate. I got the retired rate for that round, and by the time I got back the sign read retired over 55. I played a lot of rounds there at full price after that, but I always have fun telling the new counter clerks why the sign says over 55. Still, IMO Retired Is Retired 38, 55, 105 if you are retired and getting a pension you are retired. That line of "Oh retired Military, no you have to be 55" is total BS if you did enough work for someone that they are willing to pay you for the rest of your life you are RETIRED.

More
16 years 1 month ago #2966 by oldchief46
Bubblehead,

There are some people out there that think if you are younger than 55 then you should not be retired, should have found another job after the Navy and, therefore, you can afford full price. I have the same problem with senior citizen prices, even though I'm now old enough to rate the senior discounts. When I go to a restaurant I eat just as much now, if not more, than when I was a working still at age 50. I'll take the senior discounts when offered but don't feel I deserve them just because I got old. I can much more afford to eat in a restaurant now than when I was in my twenties and raising a family.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 1 month ago #2968 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: MWR fees based on rank
Some services do not cost any more to offer the discount, and the Rank-Rate (like golf) is fine on some things -- maybe, I've never been sure why that happens anyway -- but I have no problem with the same price for everyone when using the campgrounds.

We expect services, TV, WIFI, clean restrooms, etc -- and it cost (and is run by fees, not DoD budget) a certain amount to have that happen. So the rate for camping probably should be the same for everyone, if we all expect the same service ... it's not high anyway -- generally under $20 a night -- so even if you get a discount (and DAV's do actually - 10% in some) it's only gonna be a buck or so -- why bother -- I say, charge everyone the same and let it improve the services ...

Far as the retired goes, if I says it, I'll take it, if not I just pay the rate. It's never enough to hassle about usually ... it might add up over time, but I'd much rather enjoy my retirement than quibble about the small S--t.

More
16 years 1 month ago #2972 by oldchief46

There are some people out there that think if you are younger than 55 then you should not be retired, should have found another job after the Navy and, therefore, you can afford full price.

After re-reading what I wrote I think it came out wrong. I'm not knocking Bubblehead for wanting the retiree price even though he is under 55. I agree with him that all retirees should get the same price. He is right, retired is retired. My point was there are some folks around, usually younger folks, that don't understand the military guy who retires at a relative young rate and does not immediately go get another job. Many of us do, most actually, but it is no one elses business. Also, doesn't matter if you were an Admiral or a Seaman Apprentice you are still retired and should be charged the same rates, if you are 25 years old or 125 years old. (That is one thing I like about being around military retired RVers. In most cases it does not matter if you were officer or enlisted when active duty we are now all just RVer's.)

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds