MWR fees based on rank

More
16 years 1 month ago #3024 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: MWR fees based on rank
There was once a time when privates or seamen got paid a whopping $78 a month -- when I frist joined the navy. Since then, pay rates have significantly increased, and although not in line with civilian pay rates, certainly come a little closer and when we add things like no sales tax and other benefits (medical and other allowances) ... well, you get the picture.

So at the time, it made sense to "charge by rate" because $78 didn't go far. Now, we have quite a different economic picture, and it might still be sensible to go by pay rate for the active duty folks, but once retired, it make more sense that all retired pay the same -- whether a senior discount or a retired rate, or whatever. But retired are much more liable to be retired twice than just retired military ... so, the descrepancy may be less -- regardless, once retired, it makes more sense to charge one rate. SO, Skyking could then play golf at the same rate as a retired Chief, for example -- and why not, retired have all paid the dues ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #3072 by FastEagle
The pricing by hierarchy is practiced at just about all military golf courses. The DOD civilians love it. When checking in for a tee time one is asked for their status, the DOD civilian says “GS-15" and can be heard at the snack bar. I’ve even herd “ RADM Retired” like the retired is going to make a difference. As long as we have teenage service personnel living on bases in barracks we are going to have hierarchy pricing. I have a brother-in-law on 100% disability because of injuries he suffered during the Korean thing (he was blown out of a fox hole). He can play golf and his fee is determined by his VA status as a retired CPL (E-4). He rubs me with it sometimes but as far as I’m concerned he should be playing free.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
15 years 11 months ago #3297 by artstang
Replied by artstang on topic Re: MWR fees based on rank
Been to Shades of Green lately in Orlando. Check out their rates in their website. It's rank structured. There are no rates for retirees. I can feel the pain, because as a retired USNR, I don't get my retired pay until 60. Maybe the sign should read over 60 instead of 55. And I know there are lots of retired reservist (gray area) out there under 60 without a decent high paying jobs and we need a retired rates.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3299 by oldchief46

Been to Shades of Green lately in Orlando. Check out their rates in their website. It's rank structured. There are no rates for retirees. I can feel the pain, because as a retired USNR, I don't get my retired pay until 60. Maybe the sign should read over 60 instead of 55. And I know there are lots of retired reservist (gray area) out there under 60 without a decent high paying jobs and we need a retired rates.

Funny, when I was a "gray area retiree" my ID card said right on it: United States Naval Reserve--Retired. Now that I'm past 60 the card is blue and says: United States Navy--Retired. Although I didn't get my retired pay until age 60 I still got all the base benefits, including retired rates at the base golf course.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
15 years 11 months ago #3302 by Sandman
Replied by Sandman on topic Re: MWR fees based on rank
If you dance to the music, pay the piper.

I was in a closed rate and ready to retire when the pendulum swung and I was selected for promotion. I rode the wave for a few more promotions then retired. I left behind some good people, some good friends. My guesses were luckier then their's on the test questions that we didn't know so now in retirement my pension can be almost twice their's. So I have no problem with my buddies paying less than me for MWR services.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3303 by FastEagle
I golf a lot. Been to major courses run by all the services but have never seen one that has a "retired" fee. Show me one, I'd like to see for myself.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Time to create page: 0.421 seconds