Base Sticker

More
17 years 2 months ago #318 by AIDENJ
Replied by AIDENJ on topic Re: Base Sticker
So is it going to be a real (pita) to get base passes. We plan on doing some traveling in the mid to south east. Any stays will be 1 nite only, just passing through so to speak. So my question is will it be worth the effort to use military bases over regular campgrounds. Both me and the Mrs have our military ID's. I guess I just wouldn't want to wait 2 hrs or so to get processed for a pass.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #319 by fiatspider79
Replied by fiatspider79 on topic Re: Base Sticker
I don't often admit to being wrong so feel honored that you are reading this. The Air Force is going to do it, i've seen the official instruction. The other services still have not made up their but will probably follow suit.
If they eliminate base stickers they will have to also eliminate the temporary passes and admit every vehicle with a driver holding a military ID. They will need more people on the gates to check ID cards and that will probably cost more than $150K per year.
But, there is still hope. Remember it was the Air Force that, a few years ago, came up with the new uniform with Navy type stripes for officer ranks. When that Chief of Staff moved on they quickly went back to the old regs. Perhaps after a bunch of bad experiences someone smarter will decide that this was not a good idea.
What we have now works. It ain't broke. So, of course, someone is setting out to "fix" it.
Glenn

More
17 years 1 month ago #489 by TwoOfUs
Replied by TwoOfUs on topic Re: Base Sticker
I work in the security squadron at Edwards AFB. We will stop issuing decals effective 15 Apr 07. It's our understanding this is a DoD directive, although from what we've heard, the Army is opposed. A couple of MAJCOMs in the AF have already implemented. We've not heard any intel on the Navy's position. Seems to us it will happen across the board, just a matter of time. Another point to this is the cost savings. We will cut two positions from Pass and ID, and don't have to worry about the cost of decals. Your ID card (either CAC or retired military) will be the key instrument for entry. Truthfully, the decals haven't mattered since 9/11.

More
17 years 1 month ago #512 by Chancellor
Replied by Chancellor on topic Re: Base Sticker
Got my ID renewed today and was told when I asked for a sticker for MH that they no longer issued them? I asked so went I come on the base what do I do? He said have your card in your hand to show and have insurance card ready if they want to see it. That could take forever if they have alot of people coming and going. ??? How will it work on lets say I go to a Base in Texas?

More
17 years 1 month ago #574 by Retired CPO
Replied by Retired CPO on topic Re: Base Sticker
I really don't know what the issue here is. I live near three Navy bases in Washington state and visit them all frequently. Ever since 9-11 every person entering every base has had to stop and show military ID. Every person in every vehicle has to present ID's. We still have decals. Random vehicle searches are still the norm. I have never been asked for insurance papers except for when I was obtaining the decal in the first place. The only backups are at the commercial truck gates where temporary passes are issued and that only happens when the truck driver doesn't have proper ID.

More
17 years 1 month ago #635 by mkebikecop
Replied by mkebikecop on topic Re: Base Sticker
We were pulling into Gate 2 at Ft. Campbell, KY last July when we were stopped at the gate, like always to check our ID cards & base sticker (Kirtland AFB). We were told that we had to make a u-turn and go to the "commercial truck" gate on the north end of post. Making a u-turn when your motorhome & toad are 62 feet long is no easy task.

Once we got to that gate we were second in line behind an 18 wheeler and ahead of two more. We were asked to exit the unit along with any animals if we had any. Standing next to the guard shack we saw a large truck with a "U" shape arm start scanning the trucks & our motorhome. We were being x-rayed by that machine. It only took about 15 minutes or so but what the hell is going on!

"Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates."
-F.E. Adcock, British classical scholar

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds