Base Sticker

More
17 years 1 month ago #637 by fiatspider79
Replied by fiatspider79 on topic Re: Base Sticker
Sounds like the Air Force got a new toy.

That kind of bothers me when soldiers and Marines are in combat without the up-armored humvees they need to stay alive. How may hummers could they have bought with the money that was spent to x-ray your house on wheels?

I don't think that is a political question it is just one GI wondering how the priorities are set in today's military.

Glenn
One of those retired old farts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 1 month ago #639 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Base Sticker
It sounds to me like they are trying to do a more thourough job of inspecting the trucks that are going on to the base with the X-ray. I think that is great :). It was a just a side note that an RV'er had to come through the same gate and be checked out also.
At Nellis, in Nevada, the RV's are supposed to enter the main base through the area II gate which is about 3 miles from the main gates as are ALL big rigs, however most of the gate guards allow the RV'ers to enter at the maingates at times. They are turned around at times also, I don't know if they just enforce the non entry at certain times or what.
Hope I didn't make to many spelling errors, I didn't see a spell checker.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 weeks ago #705 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Base Sticker

Standing next to the guard shack we saw a large truck with a "U" shape arm start scanning the trucks & our motorhome. We were being x-rayed by that machine. It only took about 15 minutes or so but what the hell is going on!

It's pretty obvious "what the hell is going on". Your rig was being examined to see if it were a bomb. If you have a problem with the base commander protecting his base in this manner, perhaps you shouldn't visit there anymore. HAFND.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #722 by mkebikecop
Replied by mkebikecop on topic Re: Base Sticker
You're correct as usual and I stand corrected. I guess I just wasn't thinking when I wrote that comment.

"Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates."
-F.E. Adcock, British classical scholar

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #725 by SeaRayStark
Replied by SeaRayStark on topic Re: Base Sticker
I'm new to this site but I'll let you in on what I've Learned! First I've been told that the military is doing away with the Base stickers cause after 9/11, they stop all vehicles and check I.D on all passengers. Why go to the expense of making the decals, whats the use?
Gary from Baltimore.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #729 by fiatspider79
Replied by fiatspider79 on topic Re: Base Sticker
In checking some historical material of mine, I have learned that the base sticker was originally issued as a way to guarantee that all vehicles on base were insured. Many states, at the time, did not have mandatory insurance laws. Now that insurance is required in ALL states the original purpose of the base sticker is moot.

Kinda makes sense to tear down the bureaucracy that was build up around a problem that no longer exists.

Glenn

Time to create page: 0.576 seconds