Homesteaders...don't we just love them...

More
9 years 2 months ago #13476 by LamSan
We are travelling RV'ers also and usually stay a month max at any military or private campground. Over the 14 years of RV'ing we have sent complaints as we saw homesteading in FamCamps and it may have helped as some of them now have restrictions about length of stays. What bothers us more than the homesteaders staying for way too long is some of them disregard the rules and how they accumulate so much stuff/junk it looks trashy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: greyhound73772, DILLIGAFF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #14260 by Geargut
I agree that homesteader junk looks trashy. However, with budgets shrinking, did you ever consider that homesteaders just might be keeping the park financially viable for travelers to enjoy? I've seen some parks that will only allow a limited number of long term spots and this helps because long termers provide a consistent income which is why services commanders turn a blind eye to it. I was at one park that had a policy requiring the longest stayer to move if the park became full. I thought that was fair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swim-bike-run-1

More
8 years 2 months ago #14264 by greyhound73772
I agree that homesteaders provide an income that helps keep the FamCamps open. I just wish those that allow homesteaders designate sites for homesteading (Pelican Roost is a good example). Save the FHU sites near the bathrooms, laundry and office for those of us that will only be there a few days.

More
8 years 1 month ago #14515 by mkane
This happens far too often. I talked to one young man at a FAMCAMP early last year that told me he had been there 2 1/2 years. He is still there, in the same spot, but apparently has purchased a new fifth wheel. So that makes 3 1/2 years + living in the FAMCAMP. When we arrived here there are 13 rigs in the FAMCAMP that were there last June when we left. That's 13 out of 60 spots or nearly 1/3. Five of those rigs were in the same spots, one recently moved spots. They are supposed to get out for 72 hours after a 180 day stay, but they miraculously get the same spot back.
I know at one USA FAMCAMP we stayed at the commanding General said he didn't care what the regs said that the FAMCAMP would support the active duty troops if they wanted to live there. So it seems everyone takes precedence over retirees.
Also these FAMCAMPS that are "Space Available", i.e. they don't take reservations, are a pain. When we come to FL we need a place to stay cause we are coming for doctors appointments etc. We end up playing "musical chairs" driving around the FAMCAMP at checkout time looking for someone leaving. What a pita!

More
8 years 1 month ago #14517 by greyhound73772
Here's hoping the commanding Generals & MWR managers who chose to ignore regs, try to use the FamCamps when they retire!
The following user(s) said Thank You: elysium3, LamSan

More
8 years 1 month ago #14589 by Frank A.
The commanding generals aren't going to do anything about it because all they care about is the buck. I dislike homesteaders and have parked near too many that are pigs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: nfd0800

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds