Homesteaders...don't we just love them...

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #14594 by Ncgrandma
We found a problem with homesteaders last year and again just last week. We are retired and bought an RV 3 years ago. The first time we used it was at Sea Mist campgrounds at Dam Neck Naval Station in Virginia Beach. A very nice campground with full hookups. No problem getting a reservation the first time. Then last May we made a reservation. They wouldn't let me reserve a particular site, said the site would be assigned when we arrived. When we got there we found all the sites near bathrooms and the boardwalk to beach were taken with "long term" campers. We took another site and stayed 5 days. Went back the first of September and found the same thing. "Long terms" we're still there, complete with lg propane tanks, vegetable gardens in planters, fire pits and yard decorations.

The last week of Mar 2016 we went to Cherry Point Marine Air Station and found the same type of problem. I had made reservations for 2 sites. We could not pick our site until we arrived. We got there around 2:30 on a Sat. The office is closed on weekends so we went to the park host's site to check in. No one was there. He had posted a list of sites with names and the lot number on his door; ours was not listed. Using the info posted we determined which empty lots were left. (4) and pulled into 2 lots side by side. The host got home around 7 and told us that we would have to move by Tue because someone else was assigned the lots we were on. (Rule - no pre-assigned lots) after discussing how we got our lots and reminding him of the rule, we said we would talk to the manager on Mon. Long story short, we stayed where we were. The park was full and it was very obvious how many of them were "long term".

I understand the active military can save a lot of money living in an rv at a military campground but the campgrounds are suppose to be short term camping spots. If they are going to allow long term campers in the campground the number should be limited as well as the spots they use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: larryf, Frank A.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #14597 by Frank A.
About living in Famcamps and saving money? Have you looked at the housing allowance charts lately? These folks can make a payment on an RV and pay the campsite fee and probably have money left over. Good deal for them and bad deal for folks wanting to use the parks as they were intended to be used!

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #14598 by Hank85713
I dont know if its a AF thing or what but I can tell ya that on post quarters are not like they used to be. Before we retired, had a Capt friend who lived in company grade officers quarters, they redid everything and he ended up with a speedy 4 living next door. Sr NCO quarters went the same route. Field grade were still as they were but there have been a multitude of changes and from reading here, the retirees want to live in the fam camps instead. Wife knew a couple who retired AF and they lived at DMAFB permanent in an rv! So I guess its 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of others.

If the installation allows it I guess that is all that is needed. We dont generally use the mil installations, but have been on a few for a couple of day stays, prices are getting close to the ones on the economy so I guess its a wash on which you stay at. I would say anything over a week or 10 days would be considered long term and subject to rules and enforcement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stanbnv

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #14599 by Frank A.
You haven't compared prices if you think that most military campgrounds are costing as much as commercial parks. You have to be talking mostly about Southern California.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #14600 by Frank A.
Believe me, these folks aren't living in military campgrounds because of bad housing, they are making money doing it. And I don't care if the base allows it or not, it doesn't make it right. Like the first post asked, what happened to the "R" in MWR?
The following user(s) said Thank You: larryf

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #14601 by monkey44
BAQ is designed for family housing - not for fattening bank accounts while living in recreational facilities. We, all of us, pay for that.

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds