Info on using Tow Dolly

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #3036 by subldo
Can anyone share their expierence using a tow dolly? we have a ford taurus that we want to tow behind our Winnebago. It has front wheel drive with an auto transmission so cannot flat tow it. Any insight into using a tow dolly would be helpful. Both Pro and Con.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #3037 by bill6750
Rich,
I am strickly Con on the tow dolly. It takes a good bit of time to load and strap the auto down on it, when you get to a campground you have to find a place to park it, and in some parks that is a problem. You may like it but I think you will see after you use it for a while, that you would prefer to do the towing all four down.
Bill

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #3038 by utmtman
Replied by utmtman on topic Re: Info on using Tow Dolly
I have been running a tow dolly for two years. Luv it. We just roll it under the rear of the motor home when we are not using it to shorten the parking space. We have not found a rv park or campground yet that did not have a space long enough to accomodate both our vehicle dolly and rv in one space. We went that route cuz we had two vehicles one a car like you with front wheel drive and the other a truck 4x4 that we could not get the tranny kit only the driveline kit for it to be towed so could not tow four down with it either so went with a dolly. Takes me less than five minutes to load or unload and tie down. Sure with four down it takes 3 to 4 minutes and if one is not real good at bringing the vehicle centered to hook up may take even longer. We have now sold the car and just use the truck. I do know that we are planning to trade our truck in for a Honda CRV in the next year or two and when we do we will sell the dolly and buy a tow bar and the only reason is to lower our weight a few lbs and for no other reason. With gas you do not have the weight available you have with a DP.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #3040 by bblhed
Replied by bblhed on topic Re: Info on using Tow Dolly
I have had both, and to me towing with a dolly, or four flat towing are about the same thing when in motion, but read on for my opinion on the whole thing.

Had a dolly, and the main reason I got rid of it was because I found out that you are supposed to use supplemental breaks in the towed vehicle even with it on the dolly, and the dolly having breaks.

I already had a tow bar so I just modified the car for towing. I figured it this way, tow bar folds, into less room than a dolly, and the brake buddy takes up the same amount of room weather you dolly or flat tow.

Now there was a lot more that went into my choice, like age of the toad, amount it would cost to modify, what I could get for the dolly, is this the only car I want to tow all the time.

They make tranny kits, and all kinds of other goodies so that you can flat tow just about anything, but the biggest thing you are going to have to look at before modifying your car like that is how long are you going to keep the car. My recommendation to you if you aren't going to keep the car for more than 3 more years is to get a dolly and a brake buddy, drive the car until you are ready to get rid of it then, sell the car, sell the dolly, keep the brake buddy, and get a brand new car you can flat tow and install a tow bar and towing lights on it.

That is my two cents, in a nut shell.
Dolly an old car, flat tow a new car.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #3041 by johnandmari
I am an advocate of the tow dolly. I have used tow dollies for almost fifteen years and have never experienced problems, either with campground storage (as suggested, slip the tongue under the back of the MH) or with the time required to load the toad vehicle. Regarding brakes for the dolly, I strongly suggest you buy a dolly with brakes installed – some states and all of Canada require supplemental braking. Our first dolly had surge brakes and the one we have now has electric brakes. I am neutral on the differences in either type. The advantage of the dolly is that, for the most part, many different vehicles can be towed, while usage of a tow bar requires a new vehicle-mounted plate for each vehicle. Tow dollies are cheaper than tow bars for the simple reason that due to the need for supplemental braking, you must purchase an additional brake system, a somewhat expensive item - transmission kits, drive shaft disconnect kits, etc. just add to the cost of towing.

Regarding expense – while you can spend upwards of $3200 for a dolly (Roadmaster), many are available, with brakes, for less than $1100 (Master Tow, Stehl Tow). Of course, numerous makes/models of tow dollies are available throughout the price range, based on your needs. Good luck with your choice! ;D

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #3042 by subldo
Replied by subldo on topic Re: Info on using Tow Dolly
all the posts have been helpful. we also have looked at a new Honda CRV but the cost of new one is about $21,000, used ones are only a few thousand less. Looking at both the roadmaster and master tow dollies there is quite a difference in prices. since we have an adequate car to tow on the dolly I think thats the way I am leaning. And, when we need to trade we can purchase a much less expensive vehicle and still use the dolly. Putting out a couple of grand for a good dolly seems the most cost effective way to go now.

Thanks for all your replies.

Rich Henry
LT USN (RET)
Greer SC

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds