Info on using Tow Dolly

More
16 years 2 days ago #3107 by subldo
Replied by subldo on topic Re: Info on using Tow Dolly
Ronnie, I'll look for your post on the dolly experience when you get back. I haven't bought one yet, we are not full time and all scheduled trips this year we won't need one. Plan is for my wife to retire next year so thats when we will take our first long trip and will need a TOAD. Did you get a dolly with brakes and if so did you get electric or surge?

SUBLDO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3142 by kona
Replied by kona on topic Re: Info on using Tow Dolly
This is great timing. Was going to ask the same questions and you kind folks have answered all. I also have a Pontiac GP and really don't want to buy something different at this time. One thing..what is the advantage/disadvantage of electric or purge brakes on a dolly? Should I be looking for one over the other?
Thanks,
Al

More
15 years 11 months ago #3153 by subldo
Replied by subldo on topic Re: Info on using Tow Dolly
from the info I've gotten from dealers, the surge brake system is better. If cost is an indication of better, the Master Tow quote I got with surge brakes was higher than the electric brakes.

Rich

More
15 years 11 months ago #3156 by johnandmari
Surge brake systems are more expensive because they are much more complicated than electric brake systems. The surge system uses a master cylinder (usually mounted on the tongue) and all the things associated with hydraulic braking systems; the electric brake system uses a magnet system located on the brake backing plates that activates the brakes, once voltage is applied at the towing vehicle. Surge brakes are activated when the system senses a deceleration – just taking your foot off the gas petal can cause the system to activate depending on sensitivity adjustments. The electric system requires voltage from the towing vehicle, through braking by the driver. On my coach, when the exhaust brake is turned on, the electric brakes are activated, which helps going down hills. I’m not certain if that is a universal thing or not – I have a Prodigy Brake Controller in my coach. As I said before, I have used both types and frankly have seen no benefit of one over the other.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3165 by utmtman
Replied by utmtman on topic Re: Info on using Tow Dolly
So what is your question. I believe most tow dollys come with the electric brake system. Matter of fact I have not seen a surge break system in 20 years on any trailer. Not saying they are not out there just that I have not seen any. I have had a tent trailer, tt, two atv trailer, utility trailer, and now a tow dolly. All in the last ten years and have only had electric brake systems on all.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3214 by FastEagle
utmtman said:
"So what is your question. I believe most tow dollys come with the electric brake system. Matter of fact I have not seen a surge break system in 20 years on any trailer. Not saying they are not out there just that I have not seen any. I have had a tent trailer, tt, two atv trailer, utility trailer, and now a tow dolly. All in the last ten years and have only had electric brake systems on all."

And if he would read all the replies in a posting he would see that I had referenced a web site to Northern Tool in a previous reply. That posting was about their surge brake dolly. If he likes his electric dolly that's good for him. But his comment is biased because he has not throughly researched other options and has no experience with a surge brake system.

Here are a couple more web sites for tow dolly research.

www.bigdiscountrv.com/towdollys_mastertow.htm
www.bigdiscountrv.com/towdollys_demco.htm

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Time to create page: 0.379 seconds