Info on using Tow Dolly

More
16 years 17 hours ago #3216 by utmtman
Replied by utmtman on topic Re: Info on using Tow Dolly
I was asleep at the wheel that day since I read it as the first post and not as a continuation of posts. LOL OUCH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #3496 by DutchStar38
Hi Rich,
Almost finished with our trip and the Master Tow Dolly worked GREAT! I only had one problem and that was at our first stop, I left the locking pin in the site space. I had drivers flagging me about the dolly and found out it was bouncing up and down from not being locked down. I obtained a proper sized bolt and nut until the Rv camp overnighted the original locking pin to me. Since this was my first dolly tow I guess I got the case of stupid out of the way early. I plan to attach a wire from the locking pin handle to the dolly frame so this cannot happen again. I also bought an extra pin set.
As for loading and unloading I found it to be very easy. After a few times I soon had it down to a science. I did buy some gloves because during loading you can get your hands black from the tires. Driving with the tow dolly was no problem. There was no wagging. The only thing I didn't like was not being able to back up. You have to plan your escapes when going to restaurants, malls, etc.
Some of the roadways were extremely rough and the dolly handled them fine. The one recommendation I would make and it is also contained in the instruction manual is after loading, drive a block or two and recheck the straps. They tend to get loose but not dangerously loose. Usually, just pulling out of an RV park will work them enough to be checked
CAUTION.... If your car has a low front cowling it will probably be damaged by the dolly. Since my car is fairly old I didn't mind so much. But, low cowlings tend to catch on the dolly when unloading. It can be corrected using small blocks of wood but that is just another thing to mess with.
BRAKES.... I have the one with electric brakes and it is also the wide 80 inch model. Wide means you can make tighter turns without damaging the car. The brakes worked fine. In fact, on a couple of occasions I had to stop abruptly and the dolly did what it was supposed to. I smelled the burned rubber after stopping.
Auxillary tow lights.... I used magnetic tow lights rather than rewire the cars system. I spliced the tow lights into the dolly wiring and they worked just fine.
OVERALL.... No problem except just being stupid here and there. Moving the tow dolly by hand is very easy if needed. I always use a hitch handle lock even if the dolly is detached from the RV. No campground refused me with the dolly. Some required the RV to be backed in, which is no problem once the car is unloaded. Most parks were pull-through. I have no problem recommending the Master Tow Dolly as a means of towing.

More
15 years 10 months ago #3504 by oldchief46

The only thing I didn't like was not being able to back up. You have to plan your escapes when going to restaurants, malls, etc.

Ronny, that is no difference than towing four wheels down. I've towed with a dolly and four wheels down and you cannot back up either way.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
15 years 10 months ago #3522 by DutchStar38
I agree but normally I tow a 25 ft trailer with my Harleys in it so backing is no problem. I only towed the car because my wife had knee replacement just before trip. Once she is better we will be back to the trailer and bikes.

More
15 years 10 months ago #3564 by bblhed
Replied by bblhed on topic Re: Info on using Tow Dolly

I agree but normally I tow a 25 ft trailer with my Harleys in it so backing is no problem. I only towed the car because my wife had knee replacement just before trip. Once she is better we will be back to the trailer and bikes.

Have you given ant thought to one of these?

www.imz-ural.com/ Motorcycle and sidecar factory built combo.

More
15 years 8 months ago #4202 by DutchStar38
Thought about it but the wife is not really thrilled about being hung out there. She likes to ride with me and I like her to ride with me. Nothing like her arms around me. I can also lean back some and get a good back rub. YUK YUK.

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds