Admiral Baker Rate Increase

More
13 years 10 months ago #7460 by morscuba
If the standardization rate rumor is correct,,betcha that NAS Key West will have lots of room this year...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #7461 by johnandmari
Having used Admiral Baker for years, and watched as the rates went from $17 to $20, then to $21 and then $26 for the same sites, I for one will probably not use AB again. There are many CG's in the San Diego area that, based on their weekly/monthly rates are a much better value than AB at $35/night!

John

More
13 years 10 months ago #7462 by monkey44
"I have talked to management here and they are fighting the new increase because this faciility does not have the same amenities that other military facilities have i.e.commisary, exchange, bowling alley, pool or dining facilities."

But that has nothing to do with CG -- those facilities we can use without CG ... it has now become a cash cow that the base can tap into, it seems, and once again, our retirement pay takes a hit after minimal raises again.

YEs, they should fight the increase, but for th real reason, which is camping is a benefit that AD and Ret earned, and not so it becomes cash to be used elsewhere in MWR ... and too often that happens - the CG funds go to mow the golf greens ...

More
13 years 10 months ago #7463 by floridakamper
I hope the statement is wrong that the Navy MAY be trying to standardize fees at $35 per night for retirees. I've always found the folks at Mayport's Pelican Roost to be knowledgeable, so I gave them a call and asked if they'd heard anything about this. They said they hadn't heard a thing and doubted the Navy would try to do it. With that said.....when I was on active duty, we always said, "Last to know, first to go."

More
13 years 10 months ago #7468 by Terricarl2
Who can you complaint to? Not that it would matter.....Everything has gotten sooooo out of hand with the price.

More
13 years 10 months ago #7478 by Doug Simpson
I was there last March when the rate was $26 and I thought that was high. This is not a fist-rate campground. Very few amenities. No commissary and exchange nearby. Off base and no security. Sites very close together. I was willing to pay $26 only because I wanted to visit San Diego.

It is pretty obvious that some base commanders no longer consider their FamCamps as a benefit for the troops. Now the FamCamps are primarily a source of revenue and temporary housing for active duty and base contractors. During my last tour of duty, I was a member of the base Morale, Welfare, and Recreation committee and saw where the "cash cows" (FamCamps) were used to offset the perennial money-losers (auto hobby shop). I guess there is increasing pressure to make these MWR units self-supporting. But $35 a day for a mediocre FamCamp is going too far.

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds