Unfair, unreasonable and ridiculous

More
16 years 1 month ago #2993 by xtrmin8r
Stayed at Grassy Pond several years ago. It is about 16 miles from its home installation and only about 1.5 off Interstate 75.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3283 by llshaw
I agree with most of the posts on this topic. I have posted in the past complaining about homesteading. However, since I am a retired DOD civilian and my husband is an active DOD civilian (prior Navy), some folks felt like I should just shut up, disappear, and not be allowed to use the facilities. Using the famcamps is about the only privledge we get since we cannot use the commissary, medical, etc. But back on track, we have been to MacDill during the winter months and the snowbirds claim the majority of the sites for six months. As civilians, we cannot make reservations and we can only stay for one week. At the end of that week, if it is still available, we can stay another week, and so on. This past winter we were able to stay three weeks, however, I expressed my displeasure and submitted a comment to the ICE website. Someone did call me and we had an hour long discussion and got no where. I was told that each base has their own regulations and it is up to the Base Commander. I also mentioned how Patrick AFB handles their, which by the way is excellent, and was told that they were aware of thier policy. I was pretty much told, that if the snowbirds wanted to stay 6 months, so be it. So what the majority of them do is check in and then the next day they go to the office and reserve for the next year. All they need to do is put down a $100.00 deposit. I do have to say that a few of the folks staying at the campground voiced the same problems as this forum and they were retired military and could not get an extended stay spot. I am not saying civilians should have the same priority of military, but if a site is available when you arrive and you want to stay for three weeks or a month, then it should be allowed.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3306 by utmtman
Me thinks that now with the higher gas prices more people will be homesteading the less expensive camp grounds country wide. I have already seen it in some rv parks along the way. Much like I stay longer, usually for two weeks to a month if I can get a good enough rate. Its far cheaper than a nightly rate.

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds