Pets at Military Campgrounds

More
15 years 11 months ago #3251 by FastEagle
Mel Linville said......... "Be careful of saying that all MWR campgrounds accept pets. "

No one has said that in this topic, Yet!

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 11 months ago #3255 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Pets at Military Campgrounds
More and more bases are starting to ban certain breeds. These are rotwiler, pit bull, and doberman, and others that can be dangerous, intemidating or mean. I have seen varius bases that have these posted, however I have not noticed that they have been enforced.
I believe Ft. Stewart is one, Mayport, Manatee Cove (Patrick AFB) and Davis Monthan are some I THINK I saw the breed restrictions posted.
Since we just have a small Yorkie, they have not been on any hit list yet.
Frank

More
15 years 11 months ago #3257 by monkey44
OOOHHHHH !!! :o

I can see it coming now, slowly gathering speed in the distance. The "discriminatory dog breed" lawsuit !!!! ACLU is already labeling its folders ...

More
15 years 11 months ago #3260 by cheldreth
Changes may well be on the way here at Camp Lejeune. A toddler was killed in base housing a week ago by a pit bull. The animal was brought onto base by a civilian visiting the quarters where the child was killed. It is going to be very difficult for the command to avoid taking some serious measures based upon breed.

I am not taking a position, I am just sayin'

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
15 years 11 months ago #3261 by monkey44
I know what you mean -- no position, I'm just sayin' too ...

Toddlers are killed by cars too, and drown in pools, and break necks on playground equipment -- but we don't ban pools etc... Individual dogs are often a reflection of the owner, not the breed.

And it figures, something a civilian does suddenly effects military campers ... maybe we outta ban civilian dog-owners instead.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3264 by rvgrammy1953
Frank is correct about Fort Stewart as early in our Camp Hosting duty days the MWR Manager brought us a letter from the Post Commander stating certain breeds were no longer allowed on Ft. Stewart and Hunter....(See Ft. Stewart's info in Campgrounds)...We posted these breeds here and on all display boards in the campground....I do know that it was "Grandfathered" for those that were already in post housing, but they all had to be registered with the MPs........the reason for this was stated in the the letter and it was that a child had been killed by one of the breeds listed........If you have one of these breeds, you may check to see if there is a special DOD or Federal license as some one we had talked to said there maybe.....

Other than that.....I have many good "4 legged friends" out there that are full-timing with their people parents.......all different breeds and sizes.......lol........and PLEASE don't get Dock going on about Civilian campers anything..... ::) He'll give you an ear full.....

Lori

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds