Pets at Military Campgrounds

More
15 years 11 months ago #3245 by foxkilo
Hi all....

My wife and I are new to the world of RV/Camping.... Can we bring our "leashed, well mannered, cleaned up after, and vaccinated" dog with us?..... Have any of you traveled with your pets?.. Good...bad....etc..?

Thanks
FAK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3246 by monkey44
All MCG's I've been to allow pets under the proper clean-up and care guidelines ... some require you have proper doc's for shots etc. Never seen any that charge extra either, unlike some private CG's.

I don't travel with a pet at this time, but would not hesitiate to go it again at some point ...

More
15 years 11 months ago #3247 by karylkoch
We have a dog who loves the RV lifestyle. We have never been to a famcamp that did not allow pets. I do know there is a famcamp in DE that does not allow dogs. I would check the famcamp you plan on going to. All campgrounds seem to have the same basic rules about dogs, must be on a leash, and owner must pick up after the dogs. Sadly not everyone follows the rules, I can't count the times we have seen people not picking up after there dog. I am afraid that there out and out rudness, will spoil it for the rest of us. We were at a Famcamp, where a Colonel let his dog run loose and did not pick up after his the dog. I guess he did not feel the rules were for him.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3248 by cheldreth
While the leash and cleanup rules are about universal, there are specific requirements in different campgrounds and recreation centers. This site provides good information on this.

Some campgrounds (who will remain unnamed) are much more zealous about enforcing the rules and you can get a feel for that by reading reviews of campgrounds that you plan to visit.

One of the complaints I had in a campground that I stayed in often was dog poop not being picked up. Well I am now the campground host at that campground and I make a big display of cleaning up after my dog and reminding people when they check in with me that they should do the same. The problem seems to have very quickly gone away.

Just a little gentle nudging works almost every time.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
15 years 11 months ago #3249 by FastEagle
All of the military campgrounds that we have stayed at have allowed pets. Of course some are more strict than others. And some will not allow some breeds of dogs at all. Camp Blanding in Stark, FL has a $2.75 fee for each animal and only allows two per campsite and you must get them cleared before you check-in. Once you stay there for awhile you can see why they are so strict, wild cats everywhere. It is wise to always carry your animal’s shot records and any required tags. Our cat has had a chip inserted under his skin. It is almost painless and is becoming very popular. Almost all vets can put one in and have scanners to read them. Our cat has had his for a little over three years. We get it checked every six months and it is still working as advertised.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
15 years 11 months ago #3250 by wb4zit
We take our dog everywhere we go and, of course, attempt to obey all the rules. Like others have said, most places pets are welcome and some places they are just tolerated.

Be careful of saying that all MWR campgrounds accept pets. Below is from the Army MWR site. Notice the "Note" at the bottom. I was told that the Ft. McPherson commander's wife was allergic to dogs and had them banned a few years ago. Probably a rumor but it is odd that this is the only one I know of that does not allow pets.

Lake Allatoona Army Recreation Area
Fort McPherson, GA
There is currently no SITES information for this location.

Eligibility: NA
Telephone: (770) 974-3413/9420 FAX: (770) 974-1278
Season: All year
Directions: Off Post. I-75 to Exit 283. Turn East off exit and drive 2.7 miles. Turn left at sign for the recreation area onto Old Sandtown Road. Park is on left.

Reservations: Accepted for Lodging and Picnic Pavillions. Camping is first-Come only -- No Reservations

Type of Site Spaces Hook-Ups Daily
1 Mar-30 Sept Daily
1 Oct-28/29 Feb
Apartments 3-3 Bedroom Full $88.00 $66.00
5-2 Bedroom Deluxe cabins Full $80.00 $60.00
12-2 Bedroom cabins Full $72.00 $54.00
8-1 Bedroom cabins Full $60.00 $45.00
2 Efficiencies Full $48.00 $36.00
RV Sites 12 W/E/S $20.00 $20.00
Tent Sites 8 W/E $14.00 / tent $14.00
Tent Sites 5 None $14.00 / tent $14.00

Note: Golden Access Cards Honored for RV sites only. Rate is $15 per day. No Pets allowed in Recreation Area. Manager and assistant manager are available on site.

Mel Linville
US Army MSG (Ret)
2020 Ram 2500 Hemi and shopping for a cheap, used, small 5th wheel

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds