Pets at Military Campgrounds

More
15 years 11 months ago #3277 by belgique

Well I am now the campground host at that campground and I make a big display of cleaning up after my dog Curt

Hey Curt! Was that that mega scoop that seems to be welded to my hand a big enough display? ;D In the 10 days we were there I never saw any remains so what you are doing is working. Dock & Lori saw my scoop too at Ft Stewart back in April. Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3282 by llshaw
I am a retired DOD civilian employee and my husband is still working as a DOD employee. We have stayed at several MCG and we are also the proud owners of a pit bull. He is very friendly and we always pick up after him. When we walk him we always try to stay away from all the other dogs and campers because lets face it, animals are animals. We have never had a problem at any of the MCG with bringing him in or with him bothering anyone. I agree with some of the other posts, it is not the breed, but the owner. Most people don't know that small breeds are more likely to bite than pit bulls when given a temperment test. Pit bulls scored lower than German Shepards, Collies, all the terrier types. I don't want to see anyone injured, but not all pit bulls are mean.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3284 by monkey44
We bred and raised Bullmastifs for several years in California -- one of the meanest looking, gentlest acting dogs of all breeds ... unless in the "protect mode" of course. And the protect mode was generally 160 lbs of "just stand there and watch" ... with a big grin. We never had any trouble with our dogs, ever ... but that's just us, of course.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3328 by Sandman

Changes may well be on the way here at Camp Lejeune. A toddler was killed in base housing a week ago by a pit bull. The animal was brought onto base by a civilian visiting the quarters where the child was killed. It is going to be very difficult for the command to avoid taking some serious measures based upon breed.

I am not taking a position, I am just sayin'

Curt

Camp Lejune already has some dog restrictions on Onslow Beach (the entire Island of Onslow Beach, not just where the water meets the sand) .. at/near the campground. When we were there on Spring 2007 dogs were allowed in the campground only, not the surrounding beach & rec area.. dogs had to ride into/out of CG in a vehicle.. they were also allowed way south below the pier, on a leash..

More
15 years 11 months ago #3332 by cheldreth
Sandman:

You do not have to go all the way to the pier now. Dogs are allowed on the beach south of the staff NCO pavilion so the drive is quite a bit shorter than it was.

Dogs are a constant issue here at Onslow. I guess they think that the sign that they pass by coming onto the beach applies to everyone but them.

We periodically find dogs being sneaked into the lodges, cabanas and trailers. People try to pass them off as their children, but know better. We may be old, retired and senile, but we are not blind.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
15 years 11 months ago #3334 by monkey44
QUOTE: "People try to pass them off as their children, but we know better."

Some retired military do have short-hairy children with four legs, you know. Just ask them ::) ::)

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds