Non-Interstate/Turnpike/Thruways

More
15 years 9 months ago #3751 by DutchStar38
We can travel the backroads now because we no longer have timelines. We get where we are going when we get there. That is one reason we make very few reservations until we get close to where we want to stop. If it is just an overnighter then we use Truck Stops. They really are great. Nothing like pulling around to the back lot and squeezing in amongst 250 truckers. Sorta Fun in a way. And FREE. Then in the morning we just pull out and start another day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3758 by cheldreth
We started to do this on our recent trip to and from Texas recently. I did not do any formal calculations but I came to the conclusion that by keeping my speed to between 55 and 60, my fuel usage was much better. On the interstate, the temptation and the pressure is there to keep up with traffic that is traveling much faster.

Since we are now full-timing and retired, we just have few serious reasons to drive the Bounder as fast as I would drive the toad on the same highway with the same conditions.

It does require some serious discipline to change 40+ years of driving habits and watching the time go by.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
15 years 9 months ago #3760 by DutchStar38
I agree that on the occasions when we have to use the BIG roads it does seem like we are crawling compared to the other traffic. In our car we are just one of the crowd but in the RV we are right lane only and cruise control as much as possible. It is really hard to hold the speed down with your foot on the pedal but cruise control eases the anxiety besides saving a bunch of fuel. Backroads are easy to slow down because of all the twists and turns and sometimes down right skinny roads.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3778 by monkey44
We generally use the "Big Highways" to get through or around cities ... and most of all, to get us to the country roads - - - we find we get caught up in too much slow traffic when you use regular roads around the cities and in the close-in suburbs.

And I think you're right on about slowing down and saving gas on the back roads, unless it becomes "stop & go" ...

More
15 years 7 months ago #4120 by DutchStar38
We utilize back roads for sightseeing. We enjoy looking at the various style of houses and yards. The out of the main path restaurants and small shops are thrilling. After spending 20 years in the U.S> Navy touring the world, I am now touring the U.S. and it is amazing.

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds