America's Official Pastime - Not What You Think

More
14 years 7 months ago #6483 by Martin64
I use to be a big football fan, but the rules are just taking over the game to the point that every down is narrated by the officials explaining the rules infractions that just happened. I watched a few pre-season games and it was just ridiculous. I sure hope it's not that bad when the season starts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #6484 by Sarge3398
Each year after the season ends, the Competition Committee meets and votes on new rules. The officials then go to all the training camps during the summer and explain the rule changes to each team, and give them examples of each using the players.

During pre-season, most of these rules are over zealously called, to show the players and coaches what the infraction is. The talking heads try to explain these rules to the fans, most of whom don't even know the difference between offense and defense.... :laugh:

During the season, the officials won't make these calls (unless they're REALLY obvious or flagrant) in order to try and keep the game flowing.

The emphasis the last few years have been on rule changes that prevent the players from being injured (i.e. "horse-collar" tackles, going for the QB's knees on a sack, etc.)

This is directly from a buddy of mine, who IS an NFL referee.

(Of course, as I am fond of telling him, all bets are off if the zebras have money on the game!) :woohoo:

The only thing wrong with being retired is that you never get a day off!

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #6486 by monkey44
Tell you the truth - I'm a little tired of the refs all the time in the game. Leave the rules alone - except for safety issues.

Some times a rule change is to promote scoring so the fans get to react more ... no, I don't have a specific example, but every year, something different and new. Let's just play football - old rules - in a safety conscious environment ...

And let the refs call the plays - just believe in their skills, and let them make mistakes - that's the game.

Instant replay now has nearly taken control of the game. IF the ref thinks the guy's TOE is in, then he's inbounds - get over it, and on with it ... Still fun though :)
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by monkey44.

More
14 years 7 months ago #6488 by Martin64
I fully agree. Get back to football and get rid of the instant replay.

More
14 years 7 months ago #6491 by monkey44
Maybe eventually we can make the game 'super-safe' for players. Just have them run up and down the field and pretend play - the computer can log in player skills, and virtual the outcome - then, no one will get hurt.

TV can make it's money, and we can go camping instead. We can watch the game on our own CPU, and actually, input on the play-calling for the games ourselves and take out the 'middle men' that cost a fortune ...

Time to create page: 0.432 seconds