Pretty lousy coachng in Seattle today!!

More
10 years 2 months ago #12569 by Sarge3398
Peyton Manning is a great quarterback and will someday be in the Hall of Fame.

Having said that, if there was one game left for all the marbles I would take his brother Eli over him every time. Peyton over his whole career has set or equaled almost every individual quarterback record there is. The problem is that his teams disappear, for whatever reason, in the big games. This past Sunday was eerily similar to the 1998 Orange Bowl, where Tennessee was favored to win over Nebraska and claim the National title. Nebraska rolled out over 500 yards of offense, held Peyton to 134 yards passing, and won the game 42 - 17. Eli still holds the Manning family record for Super Bowl wins, despite having one less attempt. :laugh:

Anyway Bill, we're running out of room to find some warm weather down here in Texas. We rolled into Corpus Christi yesterday to rain and a high of 46. It's raining again this morning, but the temp is supposed to reach 70 FOR THE ONLY FRIGGING TIME THIS WEEK!!! :angry:

Hopefully, we'll catch some sun and warmer weather next week in Mission. LOL

The only thing wrong with being retired is that you never get a day off!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #12573 by stanbnv
Russell Wilson, if he stays healthy, will be a great QB on the order of John Elway and the like, and so will Colin Kapernick of the 49ers. It's been great weather down here in La Peñita Nayarit Mexico, high in the mid 80s and lows in the high 60s. Makes you want to put an extra sheet on the bed. Most of the old time Mexico hands say that if you want consistently warm weather you have to get south of Mazatlan, and we are about 200 miles south.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #12575 by monkey44
Yeah John ... warm here, but I'm taking off in a week or so - may watch the Olympics first. Genie's doing something with her kids, then flying out to meet me and we're hitting Death Valley and Sequoia.

I never can figure out Manning - and I have always thought of the two, Eli is the better QB, despite the "records" ... etc.

For some reason beyond my ability to fathom, Peyton shows up everywhere - commercials, talk shows, news, sport talk, but his negatives speak just as loudly as his positives. A true enigma.

He nearly ALWAYS crunches under pressure when he gets in trouble, it's all over for his team - he simply cannot function when he gets behind (usually) - such as the first play... When that ball flew over his head on the first scrimmage, I said to Genie - "Denver is gonna get killed today."

When Manning gets flustered, he's cooked. And once again, despite all his records, he still has a LOSING record in playoffs. I always believe if the press says it or a coach thinks it, and sets it up every play, a average to good player can set all the record he wants, but still lose when it counts. And look Seattle, a good team, great team play on both sides of the ball despite a mediocre head coach. Seattle team won in spite of Pete Carroll. Seattle would have won if Carroll stayed home that day.

Look at Eric Dickerson -- give him the ball every play, and he'll eventually break one off, and gain a lot of yards every game. Doesn't make his team a winner ... Look at Dan Fouts, nothing but pass, pass, pass, and more pass. So what? Any coach can set a player to look better than he is if a player has any talent at all, and so can the press in some cases. The Press! Look at the press for Tebow - an average QB if that, but excellent PR team, the press treated him like he was way too special. He finally proved it ... not much of a player at the NFL level. Now Tebow is making commercials "tooting" the fact that he didn't make it in NFL ... truly a lack of character.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by monkey44.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #12577 by Sarge3398
Sounds nice stan. At this point I'd settle for a HIGH in the 60's!! :laugh:

Good point Bill. I can think of a bunch of players who set individual records, but whose teams fell short when it counted.
Dan Marino, Tony Romo, O.J. Simpson, Barry Saunders, Adrian Peterson....the list goes on and on.

The only thing wrong with being retired is that you never get a day off!
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Sarge3398.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #12580 by monkey44
Goes to show you ONE player doesn't make a team. And the player that sets those records needs a team around him or he won't set anything.

Always cracks me up when a coach/GM/owner bets the farm and the franchise on one pick in the draft - then pay him a fortune for years and years, and can't afford any other players to back him up. So a good player often plays out his career on an average low-market non-competitive team.

I read an interesting note the other day (Hmmm, actually forget who) But think it was Steve Young who had a deferred contract and is still getting paid ten million a year for the next ten years or so, and has been off the field forever, it seems.

I'll give an example too - using Manning just because he's in the news all the time (part of the problem) But as soon as the Colts / Broncos win, Manning is the greatest QB ever and gets all the credit - just ask any press guy - but, when the Colts/Broncos lose, The WHOLE team blew it (for Manning, not his fault).

In my personal opinion, Manning a PR magician with a great PR department (like Tim Tebow, only Manning is a much better athlete) -- but we see Manning ALL the time, like a politician that has his name out there continuously - it doesn't make him good, it only makes him better known than anyone else. Manning might have a lot of records, but he folds EVERY TIME under stress and pressure - look at the stats ...

Eli Manning = 2-0 (HA, little brother!)
Montana = 4-0
Bradshaw = 4-0
Brady = 3-2
Aikman = 3-0

THEN: Payton Manning 1-2 And his playoff record is more losses than wins.

Seems like I'm picking on Manning, and I probably am a little, but mostly because a commercial (stupid ones at that) doesn't make a player a winner - and it becomes a popularity contest instead of athletic ability - Manning is just one current example of that - along with Tebow ... everyone thought Tebow was gonna come out and tear up the league - but the press made a mediocre athlete famous before he even set a foot on the NFL field. Winning at Florida means very little in the grand scheme of collage football either, as we sure saw in a couple seasons in the NFL. And it ERKS me to no end because a lot of the sports writer are very lazy, and regurgitate what everyone says because it's convenient.

Well, so much for the Monkey football rant - gonna go eat a banana. :)
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by monkey44.

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds