I done did it

More
15 years 11 months ago #3440 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: I done did it
A ridiculous quesion from a 'non-diesel" guy -- is it the same oil that goes in a gas and a diesel??

If so, I don't know why some would do it some not -- Sounds like a great business to me -- you sell 5 qts (installed) for 30, or 20 qts (installed) for 200+ ... seems a no-brainer to me. But, I've enever done a diesel so wonder if there is more work to it, I mean besides the time it takes to pour more oil (and that's usually through a pump-rig anyway??) So maybe one of you diesel guys can explain it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3441 by utmtman
Replied by utmtman on topic Re: I done did it
Well there was the tow bar, the mounting brackets, and the brake unit was 1000, and than I wanted the front guard which was 400. So the rest was the tow bar and brackets plus mounting.
I hope you have a brake unit in yours old chief.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3442 by mikecfr
Replied by mikecfr on topic Re: I done did it
Diesel and gasoline engines use different oil. You want to make sure you use diesel oil in a diesel engine. It will usually have somewhere on the oil can, "SD" and a bunch of other codes. But, the SD is important for diesel engines. Just like my ATV. It uses a different oil than either gas or diesel engines.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3447 by bblhed
Replied by bblhed on topic Re: I done did it

A ridiculous quesion from a 'non-diesel" guy -- is it the same oil that goes in a gas and a diesel??

If so, I don't know why some would do it some not -- Sounds like a great business to me -- you sell 5 qts (installed) for 30, or 20 qts (installed) for 200+ ... seems a no-brainer to me. But, I've enever done a diesel so wonder if there is more work to it, I mean besides the time it takes to pour more oil (and that's usually through a pump-rig anyway??) So maybe one of you diesel guys can explain it.

See mikecfr's post above. But here is the strange thing you can't use any old motor oil in a diesel you have to use the one with the SD code on it, it has to do with Sulfur content, but you can use SD oil in a gasoline engine. I knew pumping gas at at age 16 would pay off some day, I guess today was the day.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3449 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: I done did it

I hope you have a brake unit in yours old chief.

Wouldn't move my rig and toad without having the tow brake installed. Bought it several years ago with a different car and coach. Just moved it to the new car and then later to the new coach when I moved up to diesel. The biggest problem on doing the oil change on my rig is the rear facing radiator. Because of that you cannot access the engine compartment from the back. Either slide underneath or go in through the access hole in the bedroom. I love my Monaco Cayman but my next coach will move up the food chain far enough to have a side radiator.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #3458 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: I done did it
I change my diesel myself. It is very easy to get to, even the filter. Walmart takes the oil, no questions asked. I buy it from them and give them the old stuff back.
Actually I just bought oil today, Delo 400 LE, is $9.97 per gallon, (4 gallons) for my Cummin's B 5.9. The lable does NOT say SD on it, it is API CJ-4, the label says it "meets or exceeds warrany requirements for all gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines speciifying this SAE grade and API service classifications".
My owners book recommends "High quality, API CE/SG", and I just called the local Cummin's dealer and asked them. They said that the Chevron Delo 400 LE is the latest change and is compatable for all the pre and post diesel engines.
Nowhere does my book, or dealer say anything about SD.
Frank

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds