I done did it

More
15 years 11 months ago #3427 by utmtman
I done did it was created by utmtman
Took my Sonoma into the shop yesterday for an oil change and to have a few things checked out. When all was said and done I was looking at a grand to fix all the little aches and pains. Still trying to figure out how I managed to drive it with the fan hangin around trying to eject itself and never heard anything.
Anyway long story short we bought us a 06 Saturn Vue that supposedly gets 23/29 and our GMC was only getting 18. Used to get 22. Dang I like saturn they were thinking about us, the book with it has a section Dinghy Towing and tells what we got to do to tow Dolly or Four down. Would cost 3000 to convert it over to four down so for now will continue to dolly tow but glad to have the option available to us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3430 by skyking8
Replied by skyking8 on topic Re: I done did it
I used to change the oil in my diesel pusher because it was a $125 job in an RV shop and I could do it for about $50. Then I found that some of the newer Wal-Marts have bays that are tall enough to accomandate the rig. I buy the filter and they change the oil. Total cost $65.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3433 by utmtman
Replied by utmtman on topic Re: I done did it
Used to do all my own mechanics until I had a alignment rack fall on me on a job. Now I am gunshy about being around vehicles and working on them. Besides all that I used to know is almost useless now day.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3434 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: I done did it

I used to change the oil in my diesel pusher because it was a $125 job in an RV shop and I could do it for about $50. Then I found that some of the newer Wal-Marts have bays that are tall enough to accomandate the rig. I buy the filter and they change the oil. Total cost $65.

Where are you finding a Wal-Mart that will do a diesel. When we drove a gas coach I took it to Wal-Mart in Oklahoma City and got LOF for $35.00. When I traded up to diesel they declined. Cummins in OKC charges $295.00 for LOF. Fuel filter change is extra, which should be done everytime you change your oil. (Actually, Cummins says with the new ULSD you should change these filters more often.)

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
15 years 11 months ago #3435 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: I done did it

Anyway long story short we bought us a 06 Saturn Vue that supposedly gets 23/29 and our GMC was only getting 18. Used to get 22. Dang I like saturn they were thinking about us, the book with it has a section Dinghy Towing and tells what we got to do to tow Dolly or Four down. Would cost 3000 to convert it over to four down so for now will continue to dolly tow but glad to have the option available to us.

Why three grand to rig for towing four wheels down? Had my HHR done at Camping World. Mounting of the Roadmaster baseplate and wiring the tail and brake lights was just over $600.00. Although I already had a Roadmaster towbar I've since had to replace it for less than $300.00. Whole thing for less than $1000.00.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
15 years 11 months ago #3439 by skyking8
Replied by skyking8 on topic Re: I done did it

Where are you finding a Wal-Mart that will do a diesel. When we drove a gas coach I took it to Wal-Mart in Oklahoma City and got LOF for $35.00. When I traded up to diesel they declined. Cummins in OKC charges $295.00 for LOF. Fuel filter change is extra, which should be done everytime you change your oil. (Actually, Cummins says with the new ULSD you should change these filters more often.)

Odd, that they do a gas rig but wouldn't do a diesel. Nothing different except engine location and they sell the oil anyway.

I had it done twice. Once in my home town and once on the road. Both were smaller towns but with a newer store that had the tall bays.

If Cummins is charging that much, maybe I should go into the oil changing business. That's easy money. The hardest part of the job is figuring out where to dispose of 20 + qts of oil.

Time to create page: 0.464 seconds