I done did it

More
15 years 10 months ago #3469 by skyking8
Replied by skyking8 on topic Re: I done did it
I have the same Cummin's engine as Frank. He gave good advise. Check your engine owner's manual and then call the a manufacturer's authorized shop, like Cummin, and ask if there are any changes. There's an 800 number in the manual if you want to call directly to the manufacturer.

Also agree that it isn't hard to change oil on a diesel. Might even be easier than a gas engine.

1- You need the filter, oil, filter wrench, crescent wrench, and a funnel.
2- Remove the drain plug from the oil pan and drain oil. Be advised it's 20-24 qts so get a container large enough for that amount.
3- Screw the plug back on the oil pan. Remove the filter and replace with the new one. Follow directions on the box or filter for tightening.
4- Open your engine compartment and locate the dip stick cap, insert funnel and fill with oil. I only put 20 of the 24 qt capacity in mine to eliminate blow back on the toad.

Couple of tips. Neither Wal-Mart or the local auto parts store will have the filter. A larger truck maintenance facility will. Put the air back in the bags before you start and lower the rear jacks. It'll give you more room to work under the rig.

Try it once. Either that or call me. I'll take the $295 for 30 minutes minimal work. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #3470 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: I done did it
QUOTE: "Try it once. Either that or call me. I'll take the $295 for 30 minutes minimal work."

Sounds like the beginning of a new service company -- arrive at the MCG with a 24 qt container, a funnel, a couple wrenches etc, and do it onsite. That's a pretty good payday if you can do three or four one day a month at the MPGs .. who needs 30 hours for a free campsite when you can just do a half-hour oil change for someone and then pay for your own site ... :o ::) ;D

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #3471 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: I done did it
monkey,
Does your $295 fee include a lube job and an 18 point inspection? :-)

More
15 years 10 months ago #3472 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: I done did it
Frank Quote: "Does your $295 fee include a lube job and an 18 point inspection? :-)"

That was a quote from Skyking -- but I was thinking that a guy who had experience could sure make a few bucks a month doing oil changes in the MCGs ... although that would probably be hard to get a federal permit -- but in my "imaginery new company", yes, it would include a lube, an 18 point inspection, and two smiles -- one when I got there, and one when I put the $295 in my pocket - minus expenses, of course...

Time to create page: 0.435 seconds