Flying J's RV discount program

More
16 years 1 month ago #2863 by skyking8
With an RV card, the cash price is usually at least .03-05/gal less. That hasn’t changed. I have also found that Flying J prices are typically lower than other national brand truck stops.

A penny extra discount for my rig is a buck. Having to spend $10 in the store once a month means that I’d have to fill up 10 times a month to get that $10 back in fuel discount savings. I doubt anyone drives that much in an RV. But since there is a 300 gal purchase limit per month, it ain’t gonna happen anyway.

But on the other hand, I do occasionally stop for lunch when traveling. It would not be unreasonable to eat at the Flying J buffet once a month to qualify for the penny.

Lamsan> I agree that Wally World isn’t usually the place to refuel a big rig, but you have given me an idea. If they wanted that business, perhaps they should be posting “RV friendly” signs. Since FMCA consorts with them on their Atlas, maybe they can convince Wal-Mart to do it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #2867 by oldchief46

Because of the high gas price last thursday a news report here in Utah said that half the gas stations in Salt Lake City were closing their doors. Reason? They cannot afford to pay for the fuel.

This is why the minimum of 6 cent markup was set in Oklahoma by the Corporation Commission. This way the big national chains can't come in and sell at cost or less to run the little guys out of business. It makes a level playing field. Having said that you will seldom see anyone selling for more than the 6 cent markup. Also, about the only time you see a price change is when you see a delivery truck in their lot filling the tanks.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 1 month ago #2868 by oldchief46

So, lets see if I understand this. The price posted on the sign is $3.95/gal. If I go to the truck island, the price on the pump is .05 cents higher but if I use the J card I get that .05cents back. Is the price on the pump at the RV island the same as the one on the truck island or is it the price on the sign? If it is the price on the sign then I don't see where we get a discount by using the truck island. That would make it the same as the RV island.

Usually the price at the RV pump is the same as what is posted on the sign. It's the non-ICC trucks that have to pay the higher rate. I don't like using the RV pumps because they are usually hard to get into or out of or some goofus in a pickup truck has pulled blocking the pumps. Also, I have found that at some of the Flying J's the RV pumps don't have the final filter on the pump and you have a chance of getting some trashy diesel. Look at that big filter on the hose at the truck pumps. We got some bad diesel last summer that cost us a fuel lift pump. We traced the fuel back to the RV pump at a Flying J here in Oklahoma City where we filled up on our way out of town.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 1 month ago #2876 by utmtman
Monkey, you said you cant see why they charge a higher price for gas in the ground. Let me try to explain to you. Ok you are being refilled with gas and the price you are paying is more than what you have been charging. The price can go up a lot between each time you fill your tank. Ok you have to pay for that gas today. Not when it is sold next week. So you raise the price today cuz you just gave the gas distributor a check for it to pay for it. And the station across the street also just got his gas and he had to raise his price as well. And you cannot under sell him by more than a certain percentage by law. And besides how do you determine how much gas to sell before you raise your price even if you did want to do that. Its not like its on the shelf for all to see. If you think there is money to be made in the gas business, your very wrong, its a dog eat dog business. You want to make it work you have to sell something besides gas and it has to be something that will bring in the customers. The people making money on fuel is the oil company owners who are being paid for the oil they took out of the ground. And next is the guy who refines it.
Lastly say you still have gas in your tank you paid half what the price is, you still have to charge based on the local going rate. You cannot charge less than the average going rate "period". The rate can be give or take usually around 20 cents. Thats also the reason why states usually go after what is known as a gas gouger the person who sells for more than that 20 cents. The fines are big for that and they also can close the business and take it away and sell it at public auction as well as put the owner in jail.
I sold my gas station after less than 2 years of business cuz there was not enough money in it to make an honest living in my book. I made more money working for a company trying to find where there was oil in the ground.

Time to create page: 0.453 seconds