National Parks and DAV discounts

More
16 years 3 months ago #2617 by utmtman
I still have my original card too and I have not been told I have to turn it in or exchange it at any park and I use mine quite heavily compared to most. I saw 8 or 9 parks in 2007 and half a dozen in 2006. As well as while working in the parks I have not been told to confiscate the old cards for new ones. I think you may have got some bad info Monkey44. Also if they were going to turn them over completely I would think it would have been done long time ago. Private organizations have been assisting in the running of the parks since 1944. Thats 68 years and like larryf said there are many enterprises handleing the parks. Example at Petrified Forest National Park there were two enterprises involved with assisting in the park. At Dinosaur National Monument there was one and it was different company completely from Petrefied. At Yellowstone National Park there are three different enterprises assisting them of which one of them is also at petrified. I hope that helps you to understand the system. If it were one enterprise only than you might have to wonder or worry but there are many and in some cases they have to bid the jobs with the park service and the low bidder wins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #2620 by monkey44
"So how much are you using this benefit if you still have that card?"

Because I often use the military campgrounds lately, and usually go only into the back-country NP campgrounds, I fill out the registration card, take my discount, drop the fees and add the card ID number, I don't often see actual rangers that collect payment. In a couple of instances, I've been denied discounts for access to a few private-run activities, and so expect that might happen to the CGs if the privatation continues.

Look what has happened to medical lately -- was once a time when I could go to any military hospital anywhere in the country and get care, or any VA facility. Now, I can't go to any military hospital, and have to jump through hoops to go into any VA hospital except my primary care ...

It's been a couple years since I've been in a national park -- partly because of medical issues -- but am planning another national camping trip now, and began to wonder as I see private vendors beginning to operate much more in the parks than in the past...

It's not such a huge thing -- half-price on a CG... but how long do you want to sit there and have your benefits reduced, one by one -- doesn't matter which one or how much ...

But I'm glad to hear that we still get to use the cards and maybe I'm asking a moot question --

More
16 years 3 months ago #2630 by utmtman
If you read my post completely you would have seen how much I use that old card here it is again; I saw 8 or 9 parks in 2007 and half a dozen in 2006. I also camped at campgrounds throught utah, idaho and wyoming last year using my card much like you filling out the info, putting it in a envelope with discounts and my card number on the envelope and dropping it in their box. As for pick up of that money they have a cerified park ranger who picks those up anywhere from daily in heavy used parks to once every other week in other area not used as often. It cannot be collected or picked up by anyone but a certified park ranger. Except in areas that are handled by those private enterprises of which you have spoken. Also there are a lot of campgrounds where the hosts are not run by private enterprise but by the forest service and park service. You can find those jobs at volunteer.gov. The pay is usually a full hookup campsite. When private enterpises are concerned that also includes a five day a week paycheck.
As for VA and military hospitals, I am military retired and 100% disabled va and I have to go to the va I cannot use military hospitals. Most va will only see you in emergency room or your sponsor. Also I have noticed a few bases I have been to where the hospitals have shut down and they now only have clinics and any emergency care is sent to civilian local hospitals.

More
16 years 3 months ago #2632 by monkey44
I'm glad you use the old card, and hope we always get to use it in the future ...

Yes -- I know what you mean about the military hospitals ... my point was that when I was medically retired from USNavy (100% DAV also here), I could go to ANY military hospital anywhere in the country. Now I can't go to any military hospital anywhere, ever. That's what I mean about erosion of benefits. In addition, I could go to any VA hospital in the country, now, we have to go to our primary (unless to out patieint one-day clinic in an emergency)

So what has happened over the years, for those of you who are more recent retirees, or pending retirement soon -- the benefits that we had when we retired have been substantially reduced in that regard. And it continues as we move through the years ... a little here, a little there ...

I understand that the Feds are doing this to meet budget -- but so what?? They take away the benefit, but you can't legislate a reduction in my injuries -- they still interfere significantly with my earning a living in the real world. The contract I made was based on certain benefits and guarantees, and I'm 100% DAV from my service-connected injuries -- so, every time I lose a benefit, such as possibly even this tiny half-price camping fee, it just adds to other benefits that have been reduced over time ... a little at once doesn't seem like much -- but add it up over time and we really do lose a lot.

And I hope I'm not sounding like a jerk here, or just venting about this, or whatever -- I do actually appreciate my pension, and the medical care I do get. But, just trying to document a reduction in benefits that I always thought would be for the duration of my life because I (we all) earned those and appreciate that respect and recognition. And then we find out it's suddenly gone ... and I was concerned this one would disappear when/if the private sector becomes more active in the national parks camping system. It's just one small item that any private business would want to eliminate if they could ... and once again, I'm glad to hear this continues to be honored in campgrounds and plan to begin using it again soon now that I'm back in the camping mode...

More
16 years 3 months ago #2638 by bblhed
monkey44 you make a really good point about erosion of benifits, especialy the medical, what is really strange to me is that after the VA spent a truckload of money to interconnect their computer system so your medical records are available at any VA they then said you can't go to any VA. That is government in action for you.

Anyway, lets get back on track here. I just got my America the Beautiful pass this past week, it's so pretty and shiny with a nice picture on the front of it and all. Ok, I like the way the card looks because it is still brand new. Anyway when I got it I had to go to an actual NPS (National Park Service) location as they are the only ones that are allowed to issue them at this time. I used my VA letter of compensation, and retired Military ID, it was a quick and painless process (the cute ranger lady was just an added bonus). While there I got the scoop (because I like you people) on giving up your old card for a new one from the cute NPS ranger lady. Here is what I was told.

If you have an old paper card they will honor it just like if you have the new plastic card.
If your old paper card is looking tattered they will ask (not force) you if you want a new plastic one.
Only locations that issue the new plastic cards will ask you if you want a new plastic card.
If you want a new plastic card all you need is the old paper card, and a photo ID.
For the foreseeable future older paper cards will still be honored.

Bottom line, if you have a paper card and really like it I would recommend laminating it if you want to keep it for the rest of your life.

More
16 years 3 months ago #2644 by skyking8
I probably am going to be the spoiler in this thread. But here goes. Flame me to your heart?s content. It?s electronic and it won?t be that hot.

If a private contractor who actually knows what the hell they are doing, or hires employees like Larry, in making major improvements in the quality of the facilities, then I will forfeit my half price discount. Personally, I would absolutely love to have my hands on and control a nice COE park with FHU. If I did, I guaranteed that none of you would be getting in for $9/day - disabled or not, senior citizen or not. But you?d be getting a 9-10 rated C/G for less than $20/day. Try finding that on the commercial market or even in a MCG!

I am also a disabled vet. Other than the likely probability of the monthly checks, I have no expectation of getting C/G freebies or heavy discounts on the back of American taxpayers. However, just so you know that I?m not entirely stupid, I don?t turn them down when available.

If the federal, state, or local government campgrounds aren?t breaking even, then the taxpayer is paying the freight. And because of that, when budgets get tight, don?t expect the campground to be available. Average taxpayers want curbs in their subdivison and trash pickup 2-3 times a week instead of campgrounds that don?t make money. Anyone who doesn?t understand that premise is missing the overall concept of reduced benefits and/or the American free enterprise system. Either that or they haven?t driven up to a government park and found it to be closed.

And with absolute respect to everyone who thinks that we?ve ?earned? some RV specific and special place on the list because of the disability, I?d like to know if you get a discount at the golf course, bowling alley, or movie because you are disabled? Let?s just thank God and be happy that we have all of our body parts and are standing above the dirt to be able to complain about the issue. I certainly am.

Yes, I agree with everyone that a discount should be available, but I?m not going on record as insisting on it at the expense of a closed government operated C/G. There are others out there, many young Rving families who are our future, that enjoy and need them more than we do.

Jeez, it sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats here. We, as retired military members, have far cheaper health care costs than the majority of the private sector, better retirement checks (with annual raises I might add), commissary privileges, and so much more I could list than would far exceed the word count on this website.

If you can?t afford the extra few bucks because of privatization then sell the rig or boon dock at Wally World. Either that or you can volunteer as a camp host to cover the extra cost. Maybe you might even consider getting a part time job in the camping industry. You might find that either is fun and a worthwhile method to maintain the lifestyle that you enjoy by being into RVing.

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds