travel from Mo. to Maine and down the coast to Keys

More
16 years 8 months ago #1564 by skyking8

Hello,
My wife and I are planning a trip this Oct. 1 thru sometime in 2008 from home in Mo. to Maine and down the coast to the Keys for the winter.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to see and do while we travel from home to the keys thru Maine.

BillHR> I got a tremendous amount of information for a recently planned trip to NE. You can read it all at this link www.rvparkreviews.com/invboard/index.php...wtopic=1019&st=0

You won't find very many military campgrounds in NE.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #1578 by bblhed
I just stayed at Naval Station Newport, and recommend it, great view and a nice campground, Water and electric on site, but no dump out on site is a drawback, but if you are just there for a day or two it's great.

If you are coming down in October, I recommend at least stopping by Salem Mass, lots of people and things to do, as you may guess Halloween is a big deal there.

In Connecticut I would recommend Mystic, and Old Lyme as towns to see. Rocky Neck State park is a great place to stay along I-95 in CT. No hook ups, but at about $20 a night and an on site dump out for campers included in the site fee, to stay on a paved in walking distance from the beach not a bad deal. If you are into antiques, Woodbury CT along US-6 is a nice place. If you really want to see NewEngland Charm inland check out the town of Litchfield along CT RT 63, the town green there was used as the town green for the TV show Paton Place. If you really want to see trees turning colors I recommend CT RT-8 or CT RT-63 NORTH of Watertown CT, both have excellent views of trees, RT-8 is more panoramic, while RT-63 is more NewEngland close up.

More
16 years 8 months ago #1580 by oldchief46
If you are in the Boston area my want to go over to Salem and tour the USS Salem. This has become a great tourist. I served on a sister ship to the Salem, the USS Newport News. We have taken over a berthing compartment on the Salem and built a museum for Newport News. Also, farther north in the Battleship Massachusetts. These are great stops. Of course, being Navy retired we stop and tour all of the ships that have been turned into museums.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 8 months ago #1623 by ebknuth
Don't know if you want to get as far North and East in October but we really recommend a visit to Eastport and Lubec in Maine and Campobello Island in New Brusnwick. Both Eastport and Lubec claim to be the Easternmost town in the U.S. but West Quoddy lighthouse in undisputedly the Easternmost Point. Campobello Island is, of course, the location of President Roosevelt's summer home for many years prior to becoming President, after which he only got there three times. Just an awesome island. If you go plan to visit East Quoddy Light twice. Once at high tide and again at low, when you can make a not so easy walk out to the light. Fascinating. You might want to ride the ferries over to Deer Island and the Mainland of New Brunswick between high and low tides. Awesome.

Hello,
My wife and I are planning a trip this Oct. 1 thru sometime in 2008 from home in Mo. to Maine and down the coast to the Keys for the winter. We want to see the fall folage in Maine and New England, have some of the good sea food and see the sights there as we go down the coast taking about 2-3 months to do so. We will be traveling in a 40' MH with tow vehicle and MC.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to see and do while we travel from home to the keys thru Maine. Also any good routes and military campgrounds on the route would also be appreciated. We like staying at the military campgrounds as much as we can without going to far out of the way. Also do you think that getting to Maine about the 10th of Oct. is soon enough to see the folage there? :)

Time to create page: 0.423 seconds