travel from Mo. to Maine and down the coast to Keys

More
16 years 10 months ago #1339 by bill6750
Hello,
My wife and I are planning a trip this Oct. 1 thru sometime in 2008 from home in Mo. to Maine and down the coast to the Keys for the winter. We want to see the fall folage in Maine and New England, have some of the good sea food and see the sights there as we go down the coast taking about 2-3 months to do so. We will be traveling in a 40' MH with tow vehicle and MC.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to see and do while we travel from home to the keys thru Maine. Also any good routes and military campgrounds on the route would also be appreciated. We like staying at the military campgrounds as much as we can without going to far out of the way. Also do you think that getting to Maine about the 10th of Oct. is soon enough to see the folage there? :)

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago #1342 by a Guest
Bill'sHR.
Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place, there's an awesome bunch of good folks here
that will guide you on the right direction. Larry the founder has done an excelent job on this site
he can set you up with the "Military Campground.US" and you will have all the info about famcamps and much more at your finger tips. Stay safe traveling.
Nomads.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1345 by OurVee
Welcome. While you are here, click on the words "campgrounds"(not the drop down index)and you will see little 'push pins' for military CG's over the whole US. 'Drag' the slide down a notch or 2 and it spreads out the campground locations. This has helped us(the wife)plan our route from Florida up to Illinois for a family reunion. Don't forget that if you can't exactly stop in a MCG, show your MID(if you have them)when checking into other CG's for the night. Most will give some sort of discount. KOA's are great at this, so are Good Sams. This site has been AWESOME for a source of info. Thanks to Larry for making it so useful, and thanks to all those who support the site with honest feedback and comments. Happy Trails.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1346 by OurVee
Sorry, 'drag' the slide UP to get a larger spread, down makes it smaller.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago #1347 by a Guest
Bill's HR The weather as a lot to do with the color change. If you are not pressed for time I'd plan to be in New England on the first of OCT. I think New Boston, just south of Concord NH. closes about 15 Oct. I'm not sure about Maine CG's. The "old man of the MT." has passed away but you can still see the area where he was. Most of the snow birds leave in Sept., so make your reservations early for the trip south or you me be in overflow all winter. The days are warm. Start about 0900 and plan to be back by 1700 if you day trip the bike. Early or later in the day or in shadows it gets cooool. No helmit law in ME. or NH. Ride Safe. Friends here say foliage starts up north about middle of Sept. They have suggested starting in Stow VT. down To Keene NH. over to Concord. (We don't like the state of me.) but you can go there if you like. Happy Motoring.

KenB

More
16 years 8 months ago #1559 by FastEagle
We have just completed our two month summer loop from up state SC to Maine and back. We went north to up state NY, down thru VT & NH and spent a month in Maine. Once into Yankee land you will find that about 90% of the campgrounds are family oriented. By mid October they will all be starting to shut down for the winter and by the end of October they will be very few open. Other than the New Boston AFS in NH there are no Military RV parks in NE that will hold your rig. The last two weeks in September and on into the first week in October will be the best time to watch the colorful transformation taking place in the forests up in Maine. We did not have any trouble finding places to stay while in Maine but we knew in advance that we had to have advance reservations in the popular areas during the weekends. I was born and raised in rural Maine and this is the best information I can give you. Good luck on your trip and don?t miss the Bar Harbor area and Acadia National Park. If you are alone atop Cadillac Mountain when the sun rises you will be the first one in America to see it.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds