Irresponsible dog owners

More
16 years 10 months ago #1344 by OurVee
Replied by OurVee on topic Re: Irresponsible dog owners
the 'fear' of there being less and less CG's that allow dogs is why my wife polices the area when we first arrive(once and ONLY once). We were plotting a trip up to Illinois from Florida, figured we could stay in military CG's the whole way, but found a review that specified 'no pets'. No pets to us is like leaving little kids alone, just not in us. We started to RV so we could specifically have our 'kids' with us. They really are well trained and love (most)people. Instead of lynching, maybe just a shoe full of poop tracked all up into the 'house' would be enough, though, probably not. The types that leave the mess for others would probably just find someone else to blame it on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1361 by jafluc1
my comments are geared to full timers.

As I read through all of the posts regarding dog owners I must laugh.

We now do not own a dog. My wife and I love dogs and cats but chose to find a home for our Lab and not travel with pets, since we really thought it would be too hard on "the animals". What a concept. Imagine how most pets must feel trying to constantly adapt to changing new environments.

We cringe when we see how many full timers choose to have not one but two animals or more living in their limited space.

Of course when mom and dad are away for the day "muffie" remains locked up in the RV barking his/their head off because the are under "stress" of separation anxiety. When I brought this fact to an owners attention once, I was simply dismissed and told that the only time their dogs bark is when there is someone near. They never bark for no good reason. When asked how that could possibly be verified if they are away, I was given a puzzled look. Talk about living in denial. Am I stepping on toes yet?

Folks, believe me, I miss my lab almost as much as I miss a child or grandchild, but I really think traveling with any animal is psychological cruelty to that animal regardless of the attention and love you shower on them the 98% of the time you are giving them love.

The only redeeming part of your pets to us non owners is that we do get to thoroughly enjoy interacting with your pets when we you are walking your dogs and we are able to see them. I guess they are to us like grandchildren. We get to enjoy and spoil but have no responsibility.

Seriously though, consider finding these "loved" animals a stable good environment. It ain't always about us and "our" feelings.

Now if my past experience with pet owners holds true, you can all feel free to blast me for being such an inconsiderate, selfish person...

More
16 years 10 months ago #1364 by karylkoch

My comments are geared to full timers.

As I read through all of the posts regarding dog owners I must laugh.

We now do not own a dog. My wife and I love dogs and cats but chose to find a home for our Lab and not travel with pets, since we really thought it would be too hard on "the animals". What a concept. Imagine how most pets must feel trying to constantly adapt to changing new environments.

We cringe when we see how many full timers choose to have not one but two animals or more living in their limited space.

Of course when mom and dad are away for the day "muffie" remains locked up in the RV barking his/their head off because the are under "stress" of separation anxiety. When I brought this fact to an owners attention once, I was simply dismissed and told that the only time their dogs bark is when there is someone near. They never bark for no good reason. When asked how that could possibly be verified if they are away, I was given a puzzled look. Talk about living in denial. Am I stepping on toes yet?

Folks, believe me, I miss my lab almost as much as I miss a child or grandchild, but I really think traveling with any animal is psychological cruelty to that animal regardless of the attention and love you shower on them the 98% of the time you are giving them love.

The only redeeming part of your pets to us non owners is that we do get to thoroughly enjoy interacting with your pets when we you are walking your dogs and we are able to see them. I guess they are to us like grandchildren. We get to enjoy and spoil but have no responsibility.

Seriously though, consider finding these "loved" animals a stable good environment. It ain't always about us and "our" feelings.

Now if my past experience with pet owners holds true, you can all feel free to blast me for being such an inconsiderate, selfish person...

:o ??? ::)

I can't help feeling more sorry for your lab, than our dog who travels with us full time. How do you think your dog felt being given to new owners. I feel that would be, more of an adjustment than, keeping your dog with you. Our dog is very happy, and gets three to four walks a day. Not for the reason you think, but she loves visiting with people. One place we go has rabbits, and another has ground hogs, and she sits in the window, like a statue, looking for them. The place we go to in the summer, is where we have a boat , and she goes out with us. She goes crazy, when she sees us getting our stuff together for the boat. I think most dog owners can tell when there dogs are happy, and I can tell you our dog is happy. When we do go out she knows we will be back soon, and shows no sign of anxiety. She mostly sleeps on the bed, and when she hears the car, jumps in the window, and greets us at the door. Next time you see a dog in an RV park, look close for the smile on his/her face. ;D ;D ;D

More
16 years 10 months ago #1368 by oldchief46
no blast from this end, just an description of our dogs and travels.

We have two fairly small miniature schnauzers. Their favorite thing is to be with us, where ever we are. When we are in our stick house, like right now, they have a dog door and can come in and out as they please. They seldom go out, just to do their business and return. Mostly they would rather be with us. Right this minute one is laying under my chair and the other is laying by my feet.

As far as changing their environment the motorhome is their second home. To them it is just like being in the stick house. What is outdoors may change for them but as long as they have some grass to go on and get to go for walks on a regular basis they are happy. When in the motorhome they enjoy looking out the windows, if we are there or not. The smaller one sits on the back of the couch and watches the activity in the park. The other one has not figured out how to get up on the back of the couch so he just puts his legs up on the back and looks out.

As far as barking, that is not a problem when we are out site seeing. We have traveled many times with other coach owners and have always asked them how our dogs behaved when we were gone. There has never been a problem. If they are not on the couch they are laying on their pillows, sleeping. This is no different than before we retired and they spent their days in the house while we put in our work days. Actually, they are left alone for much shorter times than when we were working for a living.

Out dogs are members of our family and it would be impossible to get rid of them. The older dog, our small female, now has bladder cancer and we don't expect for her to be with us much longer. She is now nine years old. It will be hard when she is gone and we will all miss her, especially her six year old brother.

Dog ownership, just like the RV lifestyle, is a personal choice. We really love our dogs and plan our travels with them in mind.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 10 months ago #1375 by OurVee
Replied by OurVee on topic Re: Irresponsible dog owners
to jafluc1: We don't consider your to be inconsiderate or selfish. Your point of view is somewhat puzzling. My wife wishes she knew you so she could have provided your lab a welcome home. Labs are wonderful dogs that don't 'grow up' and mellow out until older than most other breeds. It's what makes them fun. Neither of our dogs suffer as you put it from seperation anxiety, and I know your comment was to 'full timers'. Here at the 'stick', the dogs are right with us. When we leave for whatever reason, it is without fanfare or excitement, neither is our return. It is part of the training. If either one of us goes into the RV for whatever reason, they follow and hop up on the couch hoping we are going for a trip. Our neighbors all comment on the lack of noise from such large dogs, and when camping, we have asked those neighbors if our dogs were being 'barky' or in any other way, noisy when we go to the store or whatever. The answer is always nope, we don't hear them at all. Just like OldChief46, we got the RV with the dogs in mind, and all our travels revolve around THEIR comfort more than ours. We can't imagine our life without our pets.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1390 by jafluc1
General Reply to all that responded. The responses were exactly as I expected. You were all very courteous in expressing your opinions and your obvious dismay with mine. No problem. Just wanted to share with you our observations regarding pets that travel full time.

For those who were concerned about our lab, she was provided a "stable loving home" to our next door neighbor. As for what dog's think or feel, that is dictated on a moment to moment experience. They are driven by instinct. If you love and provide that love to your pet they will of course feel secure. It is just more difficult to do in a constantly changing environment.

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds