Irresponsible dog owners

More
16 years 10 months ago #1401 by monkey44
I've had dogs most of my life -- and most recently (this week) actually had to find a home for our 'pound puppy' we've loved for nine years. But it was dictated by family circumstances we could not control. Now, she has a great home with the woman who was our 'pet sitter' for years and years -- a "second home" for her anyway. She loves us both and has a great life at either spot ... sometimes life is unfair, and sometimes we have to make choices that are less than ideal ... and I try never to critique another man's choice unless I first walk in his shoes. Once I do that, and only after I do that, will I offer my challenge ... until then, each must live with the choices he/she makes.

Having said that -- if you have a dog -- enjoy it, love it, and clean up after it, or give it to someone that cares enough to care for it properly ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago #1403 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Irresponsible dog owners
After thinking about this, MY OBSERVATIONS are that, as a hole, most dog owners I have seen at Military CG's have been responsible. There are a few exceptions, but not many compared to the number of dog owners.
I see a BIGGER dis-regard when CAT owners are involved.
Cats are sneaker and stinker. Some of their owners just turn them loose and don't even try to clean up after them. I have only seen a couple of cat owners who leash or contain their cats. A lot of cat owners say they keep their cats in their camper using litter boxes, this may be true in a lot of cases, but this sure can make being in one of these pretty unbearable if you are not a cat person.
I think overall cat owners are more of a problem than dog owners.

If you are a cat owner, please don't take this personal, this is just MY observations, I don't mean to put down cat owners as a hole, I just felt I sould say that it is not only dog owners that are a problem with their pets.

More
16 years 9 months ago #1417 by Mustang03
First, a round of applause to everyone for keeping this discussion civil. I've seen this topic devolve quickly on other boards to a very juvenile level...

We've got two cats. One never goes out. The other learned to tolerate a leash at 10 years of age and never goes out unless on his leash. And if he decides to drop a couple of marbles, they get picked up.

We totally agree with the last post: If there is something that royally pi$$es us off quickly, it is cat owners who just turn their pets loose in a campground because they come up to the door and try to pick fights with our guys. Of course, the only time any real damage to our door occurred when a dog owner let his Jack Russell run out to the end of his retractable leash and when the dog reached the door, the fight was on because the Thundercat will defend his home against all comers. Another reason to not turn cats loose is that they are predators and will decimate the local wildlife. Our guy loves to stalk, but we never deliberately let him catch anything. Of course, the last time he pounced before I noticed the critter, he was bitten by an 18" rattlesnake.

One suggestion I'd offer is that if you see a cat out on a leash, treat it like a strange dog. Approach slowly with the owner's consent and let the cat sniff and decide you're ok before just diving in and pawing the animal. Some cats, like dogs, are stand-offish and will swing if they think you're attacking them. Ours will! Look at it from his point of view - you're a lot bigger than him. The other thing we hear -- a lot -- as the owner lets their dog run up to our cat is, "Oh, our doggie just LOVES kitties!" Well, our cat doesn't know that. Keep your doggies at a distance, please! We'll stop and let you pick your path around us.

We believe the rules are the rules in a campground. Pets on leash and pick up after them. Doesn't matter if it is a dog or a cat.

B.N. Lavender
Capt. (LDO) USMC (Ret.)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

More
16 years 9 months ago #1436 by OurVee
Replied by OurVee on topic Re: Irresponsible dog owners
One of our neighbors has their cats on leashes. I love the advice on how to approach animals. Let them do the sniffing before you put your hand or face in to pet the pet. Our dogs love us, and are friendly towards most people, but like your cat, you just never know. I will admit the picnic table being dragged along is funny, NOW. Not so much at the time. Glad you take care of the marbles, too. Rules are rules, and it keeps the carpets cleaner, too.

Time to create page: 0.458 seconds