Golden Passports are apparently history

More
17 years 3 months ago #163 by fiatspider79
The Golden Age and Golden Access Passports offered free entry to federal facilities and 50 percent discounts at federal campgrounds but they are apparently no longer available.

When I went to the Grand Canyon this month my Golden Access Passport was taken from me and in its place I was given an "America The Beautiful" access card.

The Golden Age Passport was for all citizens 62 years of age and older and cost $10 for a "lifetime" pass. The Golden Access Passport was for all disabled citizens and was free for a "lifetime" pass. They were supposed to be grandfathered but the National Parks Service no longer recognizes them.

The new cards appear to have the same function except that it says the bearer MAY (the capitalization of that word appears on the new cards) receive a discount on camping. I have my fears that the 50 percent discount may be on the way out.

The new cards do not list the Corps of Engineers as participants in the program but I have been told that the Corps will honor them just like the old cards. I guess only time will tell but given the federal government's penchant for squeezing our anything good, I do not hold highly the prospect that we are not in the process of being screwed again.

Anybody have any other information on this change?

Glenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #164 by FastEagle
I took the following information from the park service web site. Congress changed the program in 2004 and full implementation of the new system is in progress. --- America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass - Senior Pass. - Cost $10.

America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass - Senior Pass
This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
17 years 3 days ago #791 by LJaynes
The only place that I couldn't the fifty per cent discount was at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone, this was because it is contracted out and the contractor doen't honor the card. All other campgrounds in yellowstone honor it. Fishing Bridge is not worth the price they charge. We were charged $36 per night and if you want to use their showers it another $3 per person. When we were there we lost electricty 8 times from Sat to Tue and power was low. Not a good park

More
16 years 10 months ago #1254 by FastEagle
Hey Glenn,

I've just used my Golden Ages card to enter Acadia National Park and was passed right in. It was the first time I have used it since you started this string.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds