Let's Help Each Other

More
15 years 6 months ago #4615 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Let's Help Each Other
Right -- get back in line. Only when we continue the process will that process work effectively.

I too have had difficulties both myself benefits (that we earned, BTW) and for my son who has some mental difficulties at this point in his life. The process in a nightmare, and the biggest problem I find is when a error is made, the "error producer" has no accountability -- and until we change the laws that make it nearly impossible to 'fire an error maker" the process will continue.

Only when we make individuals accountable for the job they get paid to do will the bureaucracy produce what the system was designed to produce -- and the cost will go down, which is the reason most use to justify non-productivity. When half the workers do all the work, the system is twice as expensive as it needs to be.

The statement that absolutely fills me with rage is, "What do you expect, it's free." And that's when it takes everything in my power to hold myself back ... it is not free. One, it's paid for by MY taxes, as well as everyone else, and two, we as veterans have paid in full, and specifically disabled veterans (which I happen to be) -- and have paid in full and been paying all our lives. And when any individual makes that "free" comment, makes me want to dig him a grave and put him in it, and it won't be at Arlington either.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #5454 by leftyf
Replied by leftyf on topic Re: Let's Help Each Other
We ain't much...but we is all we got.

Playing the VA Game since 2001...and doing it all over again.

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #6735 by MSgtK
Replied by MSgtK on topic Re: Let's Help Each Other
DAV (Disabled American Vetrans) and Paralyized Vetrans can assist you in getting the correct paperwork filed and will follow up with the VA for you. People who try to file by themselves generally get nothing or next to nothing.

Basically the VA is looking for documented medical issues that have a record of lasting quite a while to be considered for compensation. Other conditions (i.e. burn scars) are automatically considered. The reps above can tell you what may qualify, what probably won't and how to word your claim.

I can only speak for recent retirees for sure: you have 1 year from your retirement month to file. If you make that deadline, your pay will be retroactive to the month after retirement. Miss the deadline and you only get paid from the settlement date. Once your case is settled, you have 1 year from that date to add anything. After that, good luck :)

I do have to say I have been treated very professional by the VA when I call them and my claim was 80% correct. I just have to go back and file again because some of the things they said there was no service record, in which it was in my records through out my 20 career. My buddie who retired 6 months after me had the same thing happen to her.

Good luck to all and thank you for your service!
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by MSgtK.

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds