Let's Help Each Other

More
15 years 6 months ago #4582 by skyking8
Today, I visited two offices at my nearest military installation to discuss CRSC and CRDP. One was the VA reps office and the other was Retirement Services. Even tho the VA rep was genuinely concerned and went overboard to advise and help me, I wasn’t impressed with his knowledge. I had to explain a few things to him. The retirement services people were much more knowledgeable about my issue. Please understand that I am not being disrespectful to one or the other. It's just a statement of fact.

Since I have a VA compensable disability - that is subject to a concurrent receipt offset from my retirement pay - I thought that filing a CRSC claim could negate that offset money loss. Based on my own circumstances, it doesn’t appear that filing a CRSC claim will help. But not to do so would rule out any possibility of being lucky. So I’m filing the claim.

I post this for a couple of reasons. One is that I’d suggest that one never believe any of the ‘experts.’ Always get a second and third opinion. If you want to be eligible to “be lucky” then make the effort to do so. Considering the present system, it really is an effort, but you have might not have anything to lose by trying.

Lastly, I feel sorry for those veterans who assume that the VA and our government is going to do the right thing by them. It isn’t so and we have to work to help each other fix that issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #4583 by karylkoch
Replied by karylkoch on topic Re: Let's Help Each Other
My husband applied two years ago. He was sent to a private medical center, the doctor seemed to be encouraging, and felt my husbands claims were legitimate. My husband had lost hearing, because of being a chief engineer on a tug boat, for many years. The second claim, was for a ruptured disc, in his neck. My husband was a crane master on a floating crane, and had to climb very high up on a ladder to get to the top. He also had to look up when doing a mission, to direct the person who was operating the crane. His surgeon even told him, this was probably what caused the rupture. My husband was scheduled to go to England to operate the crane, but his doctor, said he would not release him to go. My husband retried shortly after this, he said, once he could not do his job it was time for him to leave, the army.

He submitted all his paper work to the VA and it took almost two years to hear from the them. They denied his claim, one reason was that he did not have his original medical records, they wanted to see. They said, they had to be able to measure what his hearing was when he joined His were lost in the fire, that many Veterans, have been affected by. The second reason, was that he did not have any witnesses from when he first hurt his neck. Well, when the first injury happened by the time, that he applied, all the people that were there had retired.
He recently went to Walter Reed to see his Rheumatoidologist, and she said, that she had seen a lot of the arthritis my husband has in other soldiers. He did not have this information in his first claim, but again, he said he really didn't want to reopen the process, of applying again.

Well we just gave up, and said I guess it was not meant to be. Sometimes the frustration that the bureaucrats put you through, is not worth the aggravation.

Though Sky King I do agree, about the so called experts, but life is to short to fight them over and over again. I sure hope there is something that can be done, but when I see how they are treating those poor guys who are just coming home, I really don't want to take anytime away from these guys, who really should have first place in line.

More
15 years 6 months ago #4584 by FastEagle
Replied by FastEagle on topic Re: Let's Help Each Other

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
15 years 6 months ago #4586 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Let's Help Each Other
FE put those links here -- and I agree ... that advisor system there is pretty good. And the guys that run it are VSO ... they spend lots of time finding the right answers. But still even after asking there, take that info and verify it yourself as a back up. But some very good advice at the military.com site, and some good info. M44

More
15 years 6 months ago #4613 by Mustang03
Replied by Mustang03 on topic Re: Let's Help Each Other
I feel very strongly about this topic. I'm constantly struck by the number of vets we meet in our travels who really don't have all the information they need. I personally didn't get squat in the way of information during my retirement process in 1990 and my retirement physical was a crude joke. But I've learned a lot since then, particularly in the last six years or so. The internet has made all the difference.

The sources above are all good. My contribution will be the vets.yuku.com/ (Veteran's Benefits Network) - this forum is a good place to ask questions and get help/advice, and it is free.

As to the advice about getting a second opinion -- I couldn't agree more. It certainly applied in my case.

B.N. Lavender
Capt. (LDO) USMC (Ret.)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

More
15 years 6 months ago #4614 by skyking8
Replied by skyking8 on topic Re: Let's Help Each Other

Well we just gave up, and said I guess it was not meant to be. Sometimes the frustration that the bureaucrats put you through, is not worth the aggravation.

Though Sky King I do agree, about the so called experts, but life is to short to fight them over and over again. I sure hope there is something that can be done, but when I see how they are treating those poor guys who are just coming home, I really don't want to take anytime away from these guys, who really should have first place in line.

Chief Wife> At one point, perhaps your husband was the one who was ‘first in line.’ The line may be getting longer, but he should not have to step out of it. Working to get the VA to recognize and compensate what one earned is just that …work. I like to remind people that it’s no different that any other job. You have to show up and do something to get paid.

An awarded disability is not just about the money. VA health care, survivor benefits, and other benefits from an individual’s state of residency are also associated with being successful with your VA claim.

The work associated with getting VA compensation is made somewhat easier if one has an advocate to do the heavy lifting. There are several veterans organization that will do that for him. They are even more valuable in situations like your husband’s where the process is not cut and dry.

Sometimes the process is long and may seem not worth the effort. But remember, if he is successful he will be paid back to the date the claim was filed. So go get an advocate and get back in line. Life is never to short to take no for an answer when it’s the wrong answer.

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds