Firearms policy at military bases

More
9 years 3 months ago #13412 by kimr
Does it bother anyone else about the "no firearms" policy on these bases? Especially for those of us that have concealed carry permits for most states and/or are trained/licensed/credentialed? Especially for those of us at the "retiree" age or female, and/or are more vulnerable to crimes? I think these policies need to be reviewed/reconsidered given the current crime climate. I mean we can stay at "civilian" facilities with our weapons, but not military? - who we've dedicated our lives to? Does that make any sense? I think something needs to change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: waangret

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #13413 by floridakamper
No it really doesn't. Especially because the only people that will obey this rule are the folks that are no threat and might be an asset if the dukey hits the fan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LamSan

More
9 years 3 months ago #13414 by dubob
As a general rule, firearms aren’t permitted in ANY federal facility. That would include military bases, IRS buildings, Federal court buildings, SSA buildings, etc. Regarding bases, the restriction doesn’t apply to military families living in bases houses but does apply to personnel living in dorm rooms and all guests visiting on a day to day bases.
And speaking about my home base – Hill AFB, UT – the restriction generally applies to handguns only. Shotguns are permitted on base to shoot clay targets at the gun club.
We travel a lot during the year to attend Skeet shoots around the country and stay in military FamCamps at some of these shoots. I have never felt a need to declare to the gate guard that I had a firearm with me when doing so.
My bride and I both have concealed carry permits but never even think about bringing a handgun with us onto a military installation.
So to answer your question about being bothered by the Federal restrictions on firearms; no, I am not bothered by it at all.

Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich

More
9 years 3 months ago #13416 by Hank85713
There are some campgrounds in the PRIVATE sector that prohibit the possession of weapons in their parks. Big thing is either dont utilize those or make an issue of having one in the vehicle. The ones I saw were all in Kalif, but there may be some in other states. Some states require the weapon to be unloaded and separated from the ammo also.

Unless they (people) have a reason to be in the vehicle there should be no issue.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago #13426 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Firearms policy at military bases
simple answer is you can go to the FED pen for a long time if caught carrying weapons on board a station without permission and they prosecute.
do what we do, CALL AHEAD and get the local posts rules, some have hunting and skeet ranges.
always get a name if told to carry and dont tell at the gate
that being said, we have never been asked if we had firearms when we roll up in the bus.
but i always call ahead and know the policy in advance, for your visit. Its not a blanket policy.

most so far....tell us to have them locked in a safe and trigger lock, and to only declare them if ASKED.
which really puts you in a predicament, if you dont have a name and number.

More
9 years 2 months ago #13456 by Hank85713
Its not only military facilities you have to worry about:

www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28210059.cfm

Time to create page: 0.427 seconds