Please tell me this is not true!!

More
10 years 4 months ago #12412 by wb4zit
Actually it is lose 1% of the COLA up until age 62...not 65.....but it still sucks. And I don't think they have any exception for those retired on disability. I think, as it passed today, it includes ALL retirees, disabled or not, up until age 62. At 62 you start drawing the full COLA.

Yes it sucks. ESPECIALLY for those on a disability retirement who may not be capable of working a second career job.

Mel Linville
US Army MSG (Ret)
2020 Ram 2500 Hemi and shopping for a cheap, used, small 5th wheel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #12413 by jschlegel

karylkoch wrote: I would not classify this question in the Religion or Politics category. I find it more like the what are they thinking and it is unfair category. How can they take something away that was promised to us. Next it will be our Tri-care for life. Is there any group that is standing up for our right to our benefits of this outrageous theft of our benefit.

Please don't speak too loud! There IS a proposal to charge TRICare for Life a fee as well as a deductible that works out to close to $5000 per year. Then they would only pay 50% of most procedures after that.

And BTW ... Look at the republican RINO's who supported the bill and voted for cloture on Tuesday when they needed 61%. Then most of the same voted to pass the bill but with the dems controlling the senate and only needing 51% it was mute by Wednesday.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #12414 by monkey44
Not to turn this political -- :) :) -- But, we put these clowns in office, we can take them out. And, I make it a habit of writing and expressing my opinion to congress as well. Don't know what it does, but it makes me feel like I'm not laying down for it.

We got caught in the NP closures 3000 miles from home, but stayed at a MCG, and I've been composing a letter about that fiasco - problem is, if I make it sound as stupid as it was, no one will take is seriously.

So, some creative complaining is in order here, a little more difficult than writing 'two words', 'three consonants and four vowels' expressing the ignorance that personified.

Had a whole year to pass a budget, and couldn't do it - but passed a bill over night to protect their pay, and passed this one in two days to cut our throats. Musta been at the gym working out during that shutdown, getting in shape to move this fast on our pay and benefit cuts.

Commissary is next on the chopping block. Wanna bet how many votes it takes to cut congressional salaries --- none of us will live that long. Most Congressmen get paid s fixed salary, but get over a million dollars for staff and travel AND an office away from home. That' EACH, not all together. What happened to sharing an office and staffing pools ... Whoa, stop me now before I slide into the slop pile ...
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by monkey44.

More
10 years 4 months ago #12415 by Sarge3398
From today's Military.com:

Senate passes retirement-cutting budget deal
Military.com Dec 18, 2013 | by Bryant Jordan

The Senate on Wednesday passed a bipartisan-crafted budget that eliminates certain sequester cuts to the Pentagon, but also scales back cost of living adjustments starting in 2015 for working age military retirees

The bill, which passed the House last week, will now go to the White House where President Obama is expected to sign the bill into law.

Backers of the bill say the package worked out between Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., and Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., say the deal gives much needed relief to the Defense Department.

The Pentagon faces about $1 trillion in spending cuts over the next decade as part of 2011 deficit-reduction legislation known as the Budget Control Act. That includes almost $500 billion in reductions already planned and another $500 billion in automatic cuts.

Of the $62 billion in sequestration relief in the pact, $44 billion would be applied in 2014 and another $18 billion in 2015, according to a cost estimate from the Congressional Budget Office. That means the Pentagon would receive an additional $22 billion in 2014 and another $9 billion the following year, according to the office.

But a provision will reduce by 1 percent cost of living adjustments to the retirement pay of working age retirees. The reduction has drawn criticism from 30 veterans groups and military associations, as well as members of Congress.

In a statement released on Tuesday, Republican Sens. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Roger Wicker of Mississippi blasted the military retirement provision.

"We want Congress to pass a budget, address defense sequestration, and restore military readiness, but it is wrong to try to achieve these goals on the backs of our military retirees-who have risked their lives to defend our country and who have already sacrificed so much," the three said in a statement.

MOAA considers the provision a breach of faith to men and women in uniform because it reduces retired pay, survivor benefit values and is an unfair cut in military career benefits, MOAA President Norb Ryan said in a statement.

Under the plan, he said, an E-7 in 2013 with 20 years of service would lose an average $3,700 per year by the age of 62, for a total of about $83,000. An 0-5 would be out more than $6,200 a year for a total, cumulative loss of more than $124,000, he said.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars late Wednesday vowed to continue fighting the plan to trim the retirement.

"We know the federal government needs to curb its spending, balance its budget and put an end to the sequester," VFW National Commander William A. Thien said. "But to penalize military retirees, especially those who have been medically retired as a result of wounds received defending this nation, is totally unacceptable."

Thien said the group will now work with allies in both the House and the Senate to find a solution to overcome what he called "the COLA penalty" and mobilize its membership and supporters to press Congress to support the solutions.

The military does not vote as a bloc. We're easy pickings.

The only thing wrong with being retired is that you never get a day off!

More
10 years 4 months ago #12421 by monkey44
One good thing about this - I mean, we gotta think positive about life, right?

This passed so quickly, and the commissary next - pretty soon, we won't have any benefits left, and congress will have to find someone else to pick on.

Maybe then, it will find the waste in the DOD, instead of stealing our earned benefits... Musta changes contract laws lately, where both parties sign it, but only one is bound by it.

Good thing we going camping next week, or I'd really be pissed ... instead I'm just grinning about heading down the Everglades. In fact, we don't lose anything in this personally, but some guys out there will. And, it's getting pretty beyond unfair where each benefit is picked off, one by one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stanbnv

More
10 years 4 months ago #12430 by karylkoch
This one did not affect us, but just the same it is not right. Fireman and Police can retire after 20 years also, I wonder how they are fairing out. Sadly many of our young soldiers, need food stamps to feed their family, and now they are talking about closing our commissaries. Outrage number 2. The third blow will be touching Tricare for Life, if they touch this, another promise will be broken. Most people who had health care and wanted to keep it, are finding out they will be the ones who can't afford it or pay the bills. The fact that they may touch Tri-care for life is terrifying. We counted this benefit as well, as a aide to be able to travel. Now we may have to worry about food, and other necessities, because of loosing benefits we counted on. I am not happy about any of this.
:( :angry:

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds