Key West

More
16 years 4 months ago #2427 by thistlesmith
Key West was created by thistlesmith
Getting ready to head to Key West as we have for the past 5 years. Any changes to procedures or amenities since 06-07. We prefer to stay at Trumbo. Sure hated to have the Coast Guard galley off limits to the campground but can see how they were overwhelmed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #2430 by bill6750
Replied by bill6750 on topic Re: Key West
There is water every 50 ft. or so.

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
16 years 4 months ago #2437 by thistlesmith
Replied by thistlesmith on topic Re: Key West
Gee Bill you really are a lot of help and obviously quite bored.

More
16 years 3 months ago #2532 by catpaw51
Replied by catpaw51 on topic Re: Key West
Hi,
We are planning to go out to Key West 19 Feb and I have been reading reviews on this site. We've never been there before and have some questions. I called down to the Camp ground and didn't get a lot of help so thought I'd ask in this forum.

Do you have a choice where to camp, i.e. Trumbo vs Sigsbee?
If we are camped in Sigsbee can we drive our towed to Trumbo, park & then walk/cycle into town?
Is there anything special we need to know before going down to Key West?

Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. We are excited to go to Key West and soak in the culture as well as the sun & ocean!

Thanks,
Cathy

More
16 years 3 months ago #2537 by bill6750
Replied by bill6750 on topic Re: Key West

Hi,
We are planning to go out to Key West 19 Feb and I have been reading reviews on this site. We've never been there before and have some questions. I called down to the Camp ground and didn't get a lot of help so thought I'd ask in this forum.

If we are camped in Sigsbee can we drive our towed to Trumbo, park & then walk/cycle into town?

Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. We are excited to go to Key West and soak in the culture as well as the sun & ocean!

Thanks,
Cathy

Cathy,
We are presently at Key West at Sigsbee, The camp is full as of tomorrow but will have openings when you get here in Feb., I assume. When you come in you have a choice to dry camp at Sigsbee or Trumbo. Also if you are disabled you have a choice for that only at Sigsbee. When you check in, here at Sigsbee you will be assigned to dry camp one of the places of your choice if open. You then wait until your number is up and the assignments made by drawing. Then the persons in the spot you are moving to has until 10:00 AM to get out of the spot and you move in with the help of the camp host. You pay for two weeks at a time. It cost $19.00 for FHU and $12.00 for Dry. If you camp at Trumbo you can ride bikes or a long walk to town. If you camp at Sigsbee you can park at Trumbo and do the same. If you don't have a small generator like most have a Honda 2000i to dry camp and keep the batteries up you may want to buy one and bring it or if you like you can do as we did and order it over the internet and have it shipped free to here. We have a 8000 diesel but the little takes a lot less fuel. You can but them at Mayberry's .com on the internet for $879.00 and no tax or shipping. If you have any more questions let me know. Bill 573-528-3057 or e-mail me on the PM.

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
16 years 3 months ago #2538 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: Key West

Cathy

We were there last February. We stayed at Sigbee. You will have to dry camp when you arrive. You can chose between Sigbee or Trumbo depending on an opening being available. You'll have to go to Sigbee to check in and get assigned. Sigbee has full hookup sites. Trumbo has none. Sigbee also has two different areas for dry camping. If you are going to be there very long (we only spent five nights) you can sign up for the full hook up sites at Sigbee. It usually takes at least a couple of weeks before a FHU site opens up. Once you get to FHU you are allowed to stay there for two weeks and then you must either leave or go back to dry camping.

You can walk to town from Trumbo but it is a long walk. It would be a short walk if you could walk on water since the Coastie base is just a short distance across the water from town. Since most of us can't do that you have to walk all the way around. Coming from a more sedontary lifestyle it was a longer walk than I wanted to do. There is a parking garage on the east end of downtown that is pretty convenient. You'll still be doing a lot of walking just to see the area.

Have fun in Key West. Everyone should see it at least once. Be sure to hoist one at Sloppy Joes in memory of Papa Hemingway. Also be sure to tour his house.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Time to create page: 0.514 seconds