Camp Ground Ratings

More
16 years 11 months ago #926 by fiatspider79
I was an NCO so my designation as a gentleman came from my mother and not an act of Congress. (Tongue placed firmly in cheek).

My mother told me that if I can't say something nice about someone or something I should say nothing.

That considered, I have nothing to say.

Glenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #953 by AdventPreacher
I have just recently discovered this website and appreciate the opportunity to share with my fellow military campers. I am both Navy retired and 100% Vietnam era DAV. My wife and I have been fulltimers before and are considering it once again. We have discovered the range of quality in military campgrounds to be comparable to the range of quality in commercial or private campgrounds. If we like one, we are likely to return. If not, we are less likely to recommend it, or use the facility again. We have discovered that we react to people in a similar way. If someone is kind, we enjoy our time with them, and when they are not, we give very little credence to what they say. And, we ignore their opinion!

More
16 years 11 months ago #1034 by Free2RV
Replied by Free2RV on topic Re: Camp Ground Ratings
I've met people like 'Tominator' before. I met them, but did not hang around with them much. I would like to hear what he expects from MWR. It is obvious that he was either released from or left the military on bad terms. I would love to have been one of those "idiots" that he mouthed off to.

In general the MWR does a credible job on the Military FamCamps. There are those like Seal Beach in California that are resorts in their own right, as well as those like Lake Martinez in Arizona that really need some new management. Isn't that why we have this forum to personally rate each CG that we have been to according to our own expectations? I guess the 'Tominator's' expectations are breakfast in bed.

More
16 years 11 months ago #1042 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: Camp Ground Ratings
I agree with all the post, except the first one. This is the first year that we have stayed at FamCamps. We've now been to NAS, Jacksonville; NAS, Key West; NAS, Pensacola and the CB Base in Gulfport. Most were really nice and some could use some work. (We were in the older section in Jacksonville and actually perferred it, down in the trees and next to the laundry.)

These camps are operated by MWR funds. That means there are no regular government funds allocated for these campgrounds. They must compete for funds with all other recreational activities on the base. Since the camps are usually used by non-active duty personal, at least in our experience, they are probably given a lessor priority than service for the active duty guys. Maybe that is the way it should be.

To bblhed: Thanks for your dedication when you were at NAS JAX. That is a nice park and you definitely should go back next time your down there. BTW the laundry is free there.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 11 months ago #1051 by SienkRJ
Replied by SienkRJ on topic Re: Camp Ground Ratings
Howdy! I must say as a tent camper [and RV wannabee] that my wife and I have pitched on sites run by the US Park Service, BLM, Boy Scouts and any number of state and county agencies, and we believe that the military campsites we've stayed at generally compared well to any of them. Our needs are quite simple, being namely a level patch of turf [shade preferred], a clean and functioning bath house and laundry, and access to base facilities - only rarely have we been seriously disappointed in these areas.

For those whose needs are greater, knowledge is power. Honestly rate the campgrounds as you see them, and if something is missing that you need be sure to mention it in your review. Someone else is going to appreciate the extra intel. Then, if you feel like it, contact the sponsoring base and communicate your wants and needs to them - they are the ones who will be able to make a difference.

More
16 years 11 months ago #1054 by skyking8
Replied by skyking8 on topic Re: Camp Ground Ratings
taking bblhed's suggestion one-step further, make the suggestions directly to the base or garrison commander. They have more control of the purse strings than the MWR folks or campground manager. It's fairly easy to find this individual. Check out the base/post website and look for a leadership tab. You can send an email, but written correspondence is more effective. If you are in the campground, then you already have access to the main address. Talk with the campground manager first to see what his priority issues are so that you can reiterate it to the leadership.

If you want to be more forceful, go get on his/her schedule and talk with them about the issue. If you can't get on his/her's try the command's SGM. It's easier for you active duty folks to succeed at calendar grapping, but retirees can find success also. I know, I've done it several times. I actually succeed in getting an air station commander to stop by the RV after work for a beer (It didn't hurt that he was thinking about getting into RVing).

I am sure there are senior officers/NCO on this website who've worked in command billets. Give the inside info, for those who are interested, on how to succeed at a personal conference with the decision makers.

Be proactive. If you don't ask the question, the answer is automatically no.

Time to create page: 0.468 seconds