Camp Ground Ratings

More
16 years 10 months ago #1286 by carsdick22
Replied by carsdick22 on topic Re: Camp Ground Ratings
We sent a reply to this earlier that was never posted. Perhaps because both my husband,who a disabled AF Retiree and I were appalled by the message and said so.
Although we aren't fulltimers, we have been staying at military campgrounds for many years. and find them great over all. When you compare the cost of the average KOA or Good Sam,or the cost of a Thousand Trails etc. membership this is economy at it's best. We get to meet other military folks, have great security, love the facilities being so close and have found most of them to be very well managed. Any problem we've ever had was addressed quickly, politely and often with the help of the other campers around us.

In February, 2006 we had a run in with an electric meter post at NAS Jacksonville, Fl and lost. Our fault, not the meters. By the time we were done the folks there had helped us get our rig turned around, checked the power and helped us get the meter upright, and offered my husband a beer for his frazzled nerves!!! Wouldn't happen in a commercial campground, I can guarantee!!

Camping is about freedom to choose and I suggest you just choose to stay off base where you'll pay more, be happy, and leave all those nice spaces for those of us who want them and enjoy the benefit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #1498 by Tominator
Replied by Tominator on topic Re: Camp Ground Ratings
Well I am back. I use a sledge hammer to wake up people to get a topic going. That is my style. Sorry for the many of you who do not recognize the fact that there are many things that need to be done in our campgrounds as one gentleman said he tried to do. Most of what needs to be done is to clean up the campgrounds, get rid of the squatters who live in shanties, stay for years in the best campsites and generally make what could be a decent place to stay, an unpleasant cesspool experience. So look around the camp grounds you are in. Do you think a little clean up will do any good. Shorter stays in campgrounds will move the junk out. Better Camp managers would make things better also. Plant some flowers, cut what ever grass there is and in fact waqter and plant a few more blades of grass while you are there and make it better for the next camper within the next few weeks as you move on to create more greener pastures someplace else.

Is it so bad to expect better conditions? I say no, many of you say yes, according to your blasts at my awakening.

I was not "kicked" out of the Service. I did challenge my NCO's to expect better from their charges and I also challenged Colonels and even Generals on occassion when their thinking was not rational. I was recruited by SAC head quarters to stay in the Military. They told me they needed Officers that stood for something. I told them to make me a Major and a regular officer. They said they could not do that and I said I would not if they did not.

I am not a bitter angry person. I just expect humans use their brains and not waste them sitting by and letting crap be their way of life. I come from the wrong side of the tracks and have fought for what I have. I have been blessed and can live comfortable without staying in base facilities. I just so much enjoy seeing the fine young men and women who serve our country when I go on the Bases. I will also say this that the cleanest Bases are Marine Bases. I guess they have the most disiplined personnel. I will say nothing about Army Bases as one of the responders to the my first email so aptly stated the reason why. Navy Bases the oldest and most charming and the Airforce Bases seem to have the most civilian workers as it seems everyone is a General.

More
16 years 9 months ago #1504 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Camp Ground Ratings
Well, in my book Tom, you seem more like a guy that sits around crabbing and complaining about what other people should do to make everything be like you think it should be -- when what you should be doing is cleaning up the place yourself instead, staying for short term in each CG and spread that clean-up energy you have all over the country -- show by example. Go to every campground and clean it up, then move on to the next one ... should keep you busy for awhile and maybe others will get the hint ... waddaya think!!!!!!!!!!!! M44

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds