Authorized Users of Military Campgrounds +I've received many inquires asking "... am I allowed to use US Military Campgrounds?" These are usually from veterans who served a few years and have an honorable discharge. Sometimes it's from a retired civil service employee who worked for the Army, Navy, or USAF for 30+ years. And some of the inquires are from veterans who are 100% disabled. There's also been a lot of discussion on the various news groups about the 100% DAV authorized use issue. I attempted to do a little research and clear all of these issues up. The following are my findings. In a… Read More
U.S. Air Force Frequent Camper Program +Would you like to receive 30 nights of FREE camping at U.S. Air Force FamCamps for only $25 - $40? You can, with the Air Force's Frequent Camper Program. The Air Force operates more than 60 FamCamps around the world, some at locations you may never have heard of. The Frequent Camper program was developed by U.S. Air Force Services to let you know where they offer camping facilities and provide some incentives to try them all. Lifetime membership in the program is only $25, which includes a logbook, "Military Living's" military campgrounds book, a set of membership decals for… Read More
The Search for "Secret" Military Campgrounds +We're always on the search for "secret" military campgrounds. No, not highly classified campgrounds, rather military campgrounds that aren't advertised or well known. The various military services don't do a good job of advertising their own campgrounds. We've found military campgrounds that aren't even advertised on their own website. For some reason, these campgrounds are a "secret" to most people. Read More
Key West Military RV Snow Birding for Newbies +Editors note: This article was written by Steve Johnson and is used by permission. It's a great overview of what to expect and how to plan for an extended winter stay at the Key West NAS, FL. Key West Military RV Snow Birding for Newbies Winter 2009-2010 was our first year snow birding at Sigsbee and it was great in every aspect. We’re already planning for our return. We had a lot of questions before our maiden voyage so this is an attempt to supplement the information provided at the Sigsbee listing. It is our opinion so others may (will!)… Read More
U.S. Military Campgrounds Directory Software Information! +This website is provided free to fellow servicemen and women who enjoy traveling and camping. To help support this website, I encourage you to try the FREE 7-day trial and purchase a subscription to the U.S. Military Campgrounds Directory software (Microsoft Windows only). The U.S. Military Campgrounds Directory is a computer software program with the same information found on this web site. However, NO Internet connection is required. You can now take the most current and complete information available on U.S. Military Campgrounds with you. Read More
- Published on Wednesday, 03 June 2015 00:00
- Written by Larry Farquhar
Peterson AFB FamCamp, near Colorado Springs, CO, is conducting a survey to determine the demand for a NEW FamCamp. Currently, they don't have a campground or RV Park. This survey is only 12 simple questions and took me less than a minute to complete. Let's help them know there is a demand for a FamCamp at Peterson AFB, CO.
We advertised a similar survey for a new FamCamp at Luke AFB, AZ. Due to our participation in this survey, the USAF decided to go ahead a new FamCamp at Luke AFB. THANK YOU for your participation in these short surveys. This website IS making a difference!
- Published on Wednesday, 04 March 2015 06:46
- Written by Larry Farquhar
Grassy Pond Recreation Area in Lake Park, GA, an affiliate of Moody Air Force Base, is now open to the public for daily enjoyment. The 500 acre recreational area is similar to a state park with cabins, RV sites, tent sites, group shelters, a recreational boat area, nature trails, grills and other amenities. The major fishing area offers a variety of accommodations and activities for guests such as a boat launch for personal boats, equipment rentals and fishing contests. Moody welcomes all visitors from South Georgia, North Florida and surrounding counties. Park entry is FREE for Military/DoD ID cardholders, and $5 per vehicle up to six passengers and $2 per each additional person for the public.
- Authorized Users: Open to the Public
- Hours of Operation: 9 am - 5 pm Daily
- Directions: Exit I-75 at Exit 5 onto GA-376 West/Lakes Blvd. Follow GA-376 appro 0.8 miles and turn left onto Loch Laurel Rd. Follow Loch Laurel South approx. 1.5 miles and turn left onto Grassy Pond Rd. for approx. 0.3 miles to park.
- Phone: (229) 559-5840 / Call for reservations and pricing information.
- Address: 5360 Grassy Pond Drive, Lake Park, GA 31636
- Amenities: Playground, Basketball Court, Volleyball Court, Picnic Area, Fishing, Boating, Boat Rentals, Boat Ramp, Hiking & Nature Trails, Shoppette, Splash Pool, Dump, Sewer, Water, Electric, Cabins, Mobile Units, RV Site, Laundry, Showers, Game Room, Pet Friendly and more!
- Fishing: Grassy Pond is open year-round for fishing; bass, catfish, and brim are abundant. Customers ages 15 and below, and 65(+) fish FREE at Grassy Pond! Customers ages 16 to 64 must have a valid Georgia fishing license and a Moody AFB fishing permit. Moody permits may be purchased at the check-in counter for daily or annual use. The cost is $5 per day for the public and $2 per day (or $10 per year) for Military/DoD ID cardholders. Ask about available discounts with the Fishing Punch Card.
- Grassy Pond Webpage: http://www.moodyfss.com//content.asp?pid=13&id=423
- Grassy Pond Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/moodygrassypond
- Moody Air Force Website: http://www.moody.af.mil/
Discover Grassy Pond!
- Published on Saturday, 31 January 2015 15:41
- Written by Larry Farquhar
I hated doing this, but I needed to increase the price of subscriptions and renewals for the U.S. Military Campgrounds Directory software. You can read about (and get a free trial) the Directory software here.
These new prices are effective immediately:
- The Download Shareware version of the Directory software is now $12.95 for the first year. (A $1 increase).
- The CD-ROM version of the Directory software is now $19.95 + $3 shipping. (A $3 increase).
- Annual renewals for both versions (optional with the CD-ROM version) is now $9.95 a year. (A $1 increase).
While nobody likes fee increases, keep in mind a few facts:
- It's been over 4 1/2 years since the last fee increase.
- The "book" we all know about is published (updated) every 4 or 5 years and costs $35.55.
- The Directory software is as low as $12.95 and is updated monthly.
- The electronic version of the "book" cost $30 per year.
- The website continues to be FREE and is more current. Paid subscriptions to the Directory software help support the website operations.
- The free website and low-cost Directory software is still a great deal!
Thank you for your understanding and for your support!