Seward, Alaska

More
15 years 11 months ago #3125 by Mikey_D
Replied by Mikey_D on topic Re: Seward, Alaska
I went up there 3 years ago with my brothers; stayed at the cabins. We had the greatest times of our lives! Took the fishing charter; caught our limits on Halibut and Salmon. The staff helped us clean, fillet and freeze our catch which we took home via coolers. The airport at Anchorage has freezers for you to stow your coolers until you're ready to check in your baggage. We ate fresh salmon and halibut for the next six months! Awesome! I can't say enough about how well run the place is, all the ammenities available and the excellent help from all the staff working up there. (I found out that some of the workers are active duty Army that get posted there as a reward for Soldier or the Year and other honors.) A number of others are retirees who work there during the summers. If you've never been, this is one place you HAVE to see. We went in late May. The weather was perfect. The never ending sun will really throw you though. We were always up at 4:30 am to start the day and never got to bed before 11:00 PM. Totally exhausted after one week but worth every minute and penny expended. My brothers keep asking when we're going again.....soon I hope!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3819 by Retired CPO
Replied by Retired CPO on topic Re: Seward, Alaska
The whole Alaska experience is something not to be missed! We parked the 5th wheel at McChord AFB and flew up space "A" to Elmendorf AFB. Thought it would be more cost effective than driving with diesel going over $5 a gallon. Stayed in the motels at the Seward Army military rec. facility two different times, didn't make reservations prior to, so had to take what we could get. Great place, great people, great charter fishing, GREAT Kenai Fiords tour!
Took a cruise back south to see the southeast and inside passage.
Next year we will go back up but take the 5th wheel, whatever the cost of diesel. Alaska is the most beautiful place I have ever seen and I can see a lot of diesel burnt over the next few years going back and forth. :-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.406 seconds