Seward, Alaska

More
16 years 4 months ago #2236 by allycat
Seward, Alaska was created by allycat
Has anyone every stayed at Steward(Elmendorf AFB, Seward, AK), and used the charter fishing ,?
I think I saw they had a charter fishing outfit going out of Seward (military discount), but I also heard it was just a long boat ride, very few people caught fish.
Can anyone please enlighten on this matter??
Thanks
[email protected]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #2237 by bill6750
Replied by bill6750 on topic Re: Seward, Alaska
We stayed at Seward at the RV park last summer 2006 and used the fishing charter out of the Military Rec area and was very happy with it. My GS and I both fished and cought our limit of halibut plus some other fish. This was July so we didn't catch many salamon. The men at the park cleaned the fish and we used the air tight plastic freezer sealers to package the fish, we done that ourself after the fish were cleaned. I then put the fish into my freezer in the MH and froze it, but you can use their freezers to do it and then send it out via UPS or Fed ex. It was a snap and I would do it again if I get the chance. The fishing was great. All you had to do was stand there with the fishing pole. The deck hands would take the fish off of the hook for you. They don't want you to take it off because they don't want the responsibility of you getting a hook in your hand or someplace else. If you don't catch fish and someone else catches more than they can keep (5) halibut, then you can have them to make yours. On my trip everyone caught their limit and then some. Do it you will like it.
Bill :)

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
16 years 4 months ago #2369 by skyking8
Replied by skyking8 on topic Re: Seward, Alaska
It's been about 4-5 years, but I also stayed at Seward and went on the charter trip. The MWR facility is a resort with motel and townhouse type facilities. Prices by rank. They were nice. We went in June which is a busy season and at the time the four available fishing boats were on a lottery basis. They only held six passengers. Everyone on our boat caught at least one fish - mostly halibut. However, they also look for sea bass when possible. You can keep the fish. We chose not to.

I'd also recommend the boat tour of the Kenai Fjords National Park. Lots of kodak moments.

We traveled to Seward from Anchorage on the Alaska Railroad. That's was our highlight of the trip. Once you're there it's a short walk to the small town.

Here is the website. www.sewardresort.com/

More
16 years 2 months ago #2661 by allycat
Replied by allycat on topic Re: Seward, Alaska
Thanks a million. I'll be leaving Florida about 1 May 08;arriving in Seward about June 10, 2008, Taking my time.I will take the train ride for sure. What is better, the North Pole Camp Ground,@ North Pole Alaska,or the one at the Base in Fairbanks?
Thanks
Jerry Troutt (ret CW4 U S Army, retired pilot)

More
16 years 2 months ago #2664 by bill6750
Replied by bill6750 on topic Re: Seward, Alaska
There is not a lot to do at Fairbanks, but I heard the campground at The Army Base there closed and they are putting military housing there. You may want to check it out before you go there. You can call them. When we were there two years ago it was a pretty nice campground. A lot of mosquitoes.

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
16 years 2 months ago #2718 by CherGib
Replied by CherGib on topic Re: Seward, Alaska

It's been about 4-5 years, but I also stayed at Seward and went on the charter trip. The MWR facility is a resort with motel and townhouse type facilities. Prices by rank.

The one you describe is the Army Resort. There are two in town there. There is the Air Force Campground and cabins and then the Seward Army Resort. The Army resort RV sites are on asphalt and is like a parking lot with a few trees. The Air Force Campground is tight parking where you have maybe 5 feet between rigs. Not too bad if they are not busy but if they are full it is not good. We like to stay in the City Waterfront campground when we go to Seward (we are currently stationed in Anchorage) or we stay at one of the campgrounds about 6 miles outside of town called Stoney Creek RV park.

Time to create page: 0.458 seconds