Camp Meade RV park no more discounts

More
11 years 1 month ago #11261 by Hudson1790
Starting April 1st all discounts including DV, handicap or all National Parks pass are not accepted for discount. The staff said due to sequestration that they needed the extra money to pay for staff. We all have offered to help clean and maintain the park but they declined due to liability. They have not accepted the camp host idea and have made no improvements to the park. They replaced some patio areas with a concrete type dust that is generally used to fill the gaps on patio stones, unfortunately it turns to mud when it gets wet. The laundry facilities are aging and some dryers don't heat up properly. The recreation room has been closed for 3 years due to mold problem, unfortunately it is in the same building as shower, laundry room and lounge. They closed and locked the mold infested room door but it uses the same ventilation. NO WIFI and NO CABLE :( , they said they do not have the funding to replace it. The good news with a good antenna with a booster you can get 30+ channels. The integrity of management is very questionable and they try playing campers against each other and blame every other entity on the bases for their short falls.

Current prices: No weekly rates , No wifi, no cable.

Back-in: $33.00

Pull-through: $38.00

ftmeademwr.com/outdoor/rvpark.php
The following user(s) said Thank You: karylkoch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #11262 by floridakamper
That's too bad. I believe some organizations are using sequestration as an excuse to make cuts like this and others. I also suspect that Camp Meade is a money maker for the base even with the discounts. I wonder if all MWR facilities raised their prices on Fort Meade?

More
11 years 1 month ago #11263 by monkey44
Went to Meade once - never returned.
One of the highest MCGs, (Except CA) and not much for service and the staff were not up to par.

And, of course, someone else is always to blame. But part of the trouble with all MCGs too, from what we see is the $$$ go to MWR and not all the MCG $$$ comes back to the MCGs. That's always gonna be a problem when the repair $$$ goes somewhere else.

I'd be willing to bet the NCGs would all care for themselves if the $$$ it brought in stayed in it.

We won't miss Meade if it shuts down completely.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #11265 by LamSan
Stayed here probably about 8 years ago and what a great location and the campground and staff and buildings were all great. Really surprised to read what has happened so went back and read reviews and this demise sure happened quickly as most reviews were favorable as of the end of last year. As I read this and the blame is on Sequestration it made me wonder what campground we will be reading about next that will fall into the blame it on sequestration pit. Here is something I heard from a reliable source and it will really make you chuckle "doggie bags will no longer be supplied you must use your own" we do not have dogs but really how much can doggie bags costs them? What makes me want to place a phone call to the powers that be is no matter what military campground we have been in so far is the lawn mowers going when there is nothing in the winter to be mowed! Now that contract change could surely save money if they stopped mowing in the south 12 months a year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karylkoch

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #11266 by Hudson1790
I think all the bases are changing. I don’t blame them from making a profit and I would like to believe that my money s keeping the cost of childcare down for the junior members of the services. All service prices on the bases are going up in the national capital region and the quality of service are going down. Last year Fort Meade closed the Golf course, the Garrison Commander was happy because he said he was loosing money. The land was given/sold to NSA. Fort Meade’s problem is poor to no leadership in the civilian sector and the active duty not keeping them in check.
Fort Belvoir is planning an RV park and the last I heard in December they were going to have a soft opening in June. They also said they were going to base the price on the outside RV parks so the price would be around $50-60 a night. It will be on the water and have cable, Wi-Fi, laundry and showers. I asked the manager “ what about the soldier and morale”, she said they weren’t like that any more and was interested in a profit while providing a comparable deal to the outside.
Annapolis Navy base is still the same rustic facility. The price is $18 or $9 with a golden parks pass. No site sewage, just one dump station and 30-amp power. 2-week limit in season. Shower and bathrooms are dated but kept semi-clean. 2 week max stay.
Andrews AFB is conducting upgrades this summer. Concrete pads, 50-amp service and some other upgrades. Prices will be going up from the $16 per night but I don’t think much. 2-week limit in season and 4 weeks in the off season.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #11325 by karylkoch
:angry: I came here to complain about the golden age pass, but am madder than before I started.
We have been coming to FT Meade, since they first opened. Our family is in Md and it is the only campground close to them. We started fulltiming a little over 10 years ago. My husband was in the Army Reserves and we were called back because of the war. He was sent to England, and the campground was the only place I could stay. I had orders and because of the circumstances I greatly appreciated being able to stay there. When we first came back the park was not yet opened and we were forced to stay in a private campground miles away. While we were waiting for Ft Meade to open. We were told by the owners they were asked to come to Ft Mead for a meeting. We found out that they wanted information, specially on there pricing.
There was a female General here when we first got here. She was attending a school in DC. She tried to have some sites assigned for active duty members who were on orders. She had to jump through hoops, but got a handful of sites. We were grateful to have one for 6 months. Now the park is full of homesteader, including cilviallians. They also had a camp host, who received zero compensation.
The one problem which has not changed is they had employees every where . Not only did they get in one anothers way, they did not know what they were doing. This had not changed, and the turnover is horrible and constant. Every time we come back there is a new staff. I had a belly laugh when it was mentioned the changes were because of sequestration, and to pay the staff. They need to get rid of some of the staff!!!!
I had no idea about the lounge, we are only here for a week or less several times a year, and we have our own washer and dryer. It is outrageious it has been closed for 3 years.
Another note for anyone coming here, be prepared they are buidintg a new PX shopping center. They have the entire parking lot torn up. First off in all our travels, I always felt FT Meade had one of the nicest and largest PX and Commisaries Can you say where is sequestion for the unnecessary. I also thought they were building a golf course off based because the county wanted to tax it (another long story) I don't play golf so it is not a big deal to me. I have a feeling they will have a golf course in the near future. Between all the GSA employees at NSA and on base and the military, there is no way they will live without one. (just my opinion).
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by karylkoch. Reason: spelling correction
The following user(s) said Thank You: LamSan

Time to create page: 0.426 seconds