Fourth Cliff Rec Area Update

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #8225 by NAVYBLUE
The following review was posted by me om this site and forwarded to MWR director via ICE.

"An excellent physical location that is not being utilized to it's full potential. We stayed at an RV site for (7) days. If there are sites available when you arrive if you have made a reservation, go to the sites and visually check them out and pick one out that suits your rig. Although the MWR rep is a nice person, do not rely on her to make your site location decision for you. We were there in May and it was so windy I pulled in my slide as I was concerned about the toppers. No facilities(PX/NEX/Commissary) as the parent command is 1 1/2 hours away. Grass needed cut, concrete repaired and the showers/bathrooms are unheated and dirty. That being said, the location is nice and the price is very good. The facility manager (RV/Cottages/Picnic area) didn't share my security concerns in that this is a remote site where you open and close the gate as you come and go and the sign says close the gate after you enter/exit. The construction personnel working on the cottages were always leaving the gate open. The "manager" said he has told the command about the lack of security and they haven't done anything about it.. It appears locals come and go to walk on the beach etc. I ran non-military in POVs off the base by telling them that as far as I am concerned, they are trespassing and/or terrorists and I am calling military police immediately. I will be discussing this with the base commander via letter shortly. Again this RV area has excellent potential if some MWR dollars were spent to upgrade the RV sites and bathroom/showers as military RV camps are very limited in New England. This could be a big money maker for Hanscom AFB if they got their act together."

I got a call from the MWR director today and we talked at length. He told me that based on my letter, the base is sending the security officer to do security threat assessment. In addition the base commander is releasing $240,000 to upgrade the RV sites and upgrade the bathrooms/showers.

So I encourage EVERYONE to use ICE and voice your concerns. If enough voice their concerns, things may change. YOUR voice means something.

NAVYBLUE
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by NAVYBLUE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: larryf, DutchStar38, kcid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #8266 by rif00299
We also use the facilities at 4th Cliff and are thrilled to hear of the progress you have made. I am very concerned about the cliffs themselves and the erosion that has taken place. When I have asked questions I have heard that the money was there for the army corp of engineers to work on them but it hasn't happened. My fear is that one of the large rigs in the sites at the top of the hill are going to wash into the sea!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS on the behalf of myself, my wife and the 40+ people we have sponsored at 4th cliff off season.

More
12 years 1 week ago #9879 by DutchStar38
Even though I may never get there I congratulate you on accomplishing such a resolve for this CG. Well Done !!!!

More
12 years 1 week ago #9880 by monkey44
Have stayed at 4th Cliff several times and have some of the same concerns. Also communicated via ICE ... and got a response, tho minimal about the conditions. Couple years ago, and not much changed.

Maybe they'e had enough complaints over the years to add up ...

I'd expect that MCG would get good use for short-term stays in NE if the baths and sites were upgraded. A little better training for staff would help too - not rude, just don't know much.

More
11 years 11 months ago #10008 by seadog
Hi,
We were going to stay at Fourth Cliff this August but after reading the posts here not sure I want to. If the place is in poor condition, security lax and sites even dangerous due to soil/ground erosion then we will find another campground in the vicinity.
Any comments/suggestions anyone can offer will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

More
11 years 11 months ago #10019 by monkey44
Fourth Cliff is fine for a few days, right on Cape Cod Bay and great views -but the place needs upgrading for longer stays. Price is more than it's worth FHU for $25 a night

Hanscomb AFB is just northwest of Boston. Good MCG, close to everything, with commissary etc. Also, Westover ANG base near Springfield. Small, but nice MCG, no commissary, fuel on base, very small PX - In the woods feel to it. Good showers and laundry. No sewer, but dump station right there.

We're on our way tomorrow [5/25] to Hanscomb for a few days...

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds